Choke knob Rubs Against Fuel Valve

Got questions? We got answers....
meyaya

Choke knob Rubs Against Fuel Valve

Post by meyaya »

Hi All,

I have a 2002 KDX200 and the fuel valve assembly gets in the way of the choke knob when I engage the choke. Is this normal? I can always get the choke on but it is a little harder to work with than other bikes I've had. It's been like that for the 3 years I've had it. I bought it with the stock tires and chain on it so it's had very little use.
Jeff
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

No that does not seem normal. Can you post a pic?
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

Sounds mighty strange indeed. Would rotating the carb in the boots just a tad help any?
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
meyaya

Post by meyaya »

No that does not seem normal. Can you post a pic?
It looks like to post a pic it has to come from a website. Not sure if I can post a jpeg. I just emailed you the photos. Maybe the carb is crammed too far forward in the boot. I am pretty good with bikes. I bought my 93 KX250 new and have been working on it ever since. More bikes before that.
Jeff
meyaya

Post by meyaya »

Sounds mighty strange indeed. Would rotating the carb in the boots just a tad help any?
I am going to replace the reeds with some Boyesen power reeds before Sunday and will look at it more closely. I will check the boot, gas tank mounting and fuel valve mounting. Not sure what else to check. The choke works its just that the valve assy gets in the way a little. I probably just have to move the carb in the boot slightly. I sent rbates9 some pics so we will see what he says.

Thanks for your help.
Jeff
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

It looks from the pics that the carb may be pushed too far into the intake boot. I could not see from the pics but the top of the carb that goes into the intake boot (the reed block boot) will have a locating tab casted into the carb body that should be visible in a notch in the boot on the intake. I would loosen up the carb and pull back on it and see if it is just stuffed in too far. Also try what sped66 said and make sure it is clocked correctly. From the pictures everything looks to be correct just a little too far forward.

Have you had the carb off? Is the intake boot still all there? Did some one cut it back or something?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

meyaya

Post by meyaya »

Have you had the carb off? Is the intake boot still all there? Did some one cut it back or something?
Everything looks pretty normal but I will do a full inspection when I change out the reeds in the next few days. I don't think I have had the carb off. Only turned to do numerous main Jet, needle and pilot jet changes and/or adjustments. Yes, I was able to change out the pilot Jet while it was turned in the boots. Kind of a pain though.

I will report back after the reed change. Thanks for posting the pics.
Jeff
meyaya

Post by meyaya »

Update:

My reeds never made it for the weekend. I did adjust the carb a little and now the knob does not touch. Thanks for all your help.
Jeff