1990 KDX 125 off road conversion... NEED HELP WITH WIRING!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
banditste

1990 KDX 125 off road conversion... NEED HELP WITH WIRING!!!

Post by banditste »

Hi, im a new member and i am having so much trouble with my KDX wiring... i bought a stolen recovered KDX from my friend and they destroyed the wiring harness... so my friend decided rather than put it back on the road he would make an off road bike but then lost interest

I bought it off him and i am quite handy with the tools so i completely rebuilt the motor, fitted a new crank, con rod, piston kit, crank bearings, crank seals, new wheel bearings, new tyres and inner tubes, new chain and sprockets, new full/complete 'BIG ONE' race exhaust system.

It is now a complete off road bike which i am over the moon with but to complete it i want to ditch the battery and run it straight from the magneto only just to run a spark and no lights.

I have researched long and hard and cant find anything or anyone who could help me with the wiring... CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME AND TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO TO GET A SPARK WITHOUT USING THE BATTERY!!!!

PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE!!!!!!!!!! :sad:
banditste

Post by banditste »

Im in my garage now and starting from the beginning- from the magneto the wires are-

yellow x3
red x1
white x1

which of these do i need and where do they go?

thanks
banditste

Post by banditste »

Can no one help me then???

i was hoping to have it out on the track this weekend :sad:
romanm

Post by romanm »

If I were you, I would hook it up how it was from the factory....and get it running like that. Then worry about modifiying the harness.

And sorry Id offer to help but I have a 250, so its not the same.
banditste

Post by banditste »

I have solved the wiring now... i think my CDi is dead though... if i kick the engine over it sparks once every five strokes

Is this a CDi fault do you think?
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Those bikes were not imported here, so most of us have never seen one.

I am just guessing...

It sounds like your CDI may need a battery to run. For example, it takes several kicks to get enough voltage to initiate the spark. CDIs generally either work or they don't.

On my WR 450, if the battery is dead, it will not run. But if you unhook the dead battery, it will run. You could have something weird like that.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Wa75son

Re: 1990 KDX 125 off road conversion... NEED HELP WITH WIRIN

Post by Wa75son »

Banditste I realise this post is extremely old but I'm having similar issues 3yellows
An was wondering if you could shed any light on my situation

Cheers Rich