front fork oil change - spacer question

Got questions? We got answers....
chadr
Supporting Member

front fork oil change - spacer question

Post by chadr »

I pulled the forks off the bike today to change the oil for the first time. I found that there was a 1.5" piece of pvc and 1.5" spring instead of the spacer shown in the manual. The main spring was really close to 20" long.

The spacer in the manual appears longer than 3" so this mod may have been done to soften the suspension?
1989 KDX 200
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: front fork oil change - spacer question

Post by kdxquebec »

>|<>QBB<
chadr wrote:I found that there was a 1.5" piece of pvc and 1.5" spring instead of the spacer shown in the manual
Was exactly like this when I opened my '92 spare parts forks.

Before installing xr400 springs, my stock '89 forks was like shown in the manual. (big metal spacer)
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

I put fresh 10wt fork oil in there. I only had 1 liter so I filled .5 liter of fork oil then the small remaining amount of atf to bring the level to 140mm from the top. I also found the adjusters were all the way soft so I put them back to the middle (8 clicks from full counter clockwise).

I'm eager to see what effect the oil and adjustments will make. Too bad I had to change both things at once but I wanted to start back at the factory specs.
1989 KDX 200
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

The new oil and clicker adjustment gave the front suspension a much more solid feel. I only got to try it out in a small riding area near the house, but I like the change so far.

I'll have to see about doing the rear shock as well.
1989 KDX 200