clutch nut won't come off!

Got questions? We got answers....
stipud

clutch nut won't come off!

Post by stipud »

ok...am i missing something?
i'm trying to get the clutch off my 04 kdx200, and the nut just will not come off!
i've even run out and bought a compressor and impact wrench but still no go...
i must be doing something wrong, any ideas?
there's no locking tab that i see?
it's right hand thread?
...i'm feeling very useless here...
it's not that im stipud, i just can't spell!
nab

Post by nab »

did you put the tranny in gear? Not the greatest but I dont have a clutch holder so I usually put the transmission in sixth gear and hold the rear wheel to get the clutch nut off. If you havent, I would atleast put it in gear and try to remove it with the impact so you have some resistance. Pull the spark plug boot so you dont start her up if its on a stand. :cool:
stipud

Post by stipud »

yeah, i started with locking the back wheel and using a strong arm, but it felt like something was gonna break, so i bought the impact wrench,and with that i've just engaged the clutch and there's enough resistance in the motor compression to stop it from turning...
i'm gonna borrow the impact wrench from here at work, maybe the cheap one i bought hasn't got the balls, and i'm gonna take the heat gun too, maybe there's loctite on the thread....i'm hoping there's loctite on the thread cos otherwise i can see me attacking the nut with a cold chisel!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

You just need to keep hitting it with the impact. I used a cheap Harbor Freight electric one and it did the job. However, to make sure you get it off easily you really need the holder tool. I can do mine without but it takes a lot longer to break loose.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Inexpensive impact guns are not very "strong." Also the plumbing to and couplers in the hose may not allow enough airflow to get peak torque out of the gun. it helps to leave the clutch springs and plates on to break the nut loose as that adds to the resistance against the hub turning.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

the flywheel holder should make it easier, but I've had luck with a harbor freight 1/2" earthquake air impact and the rubber strap holder things. The power of the 1/2" impact is overkill on the dirt bike for sure. A strong 3/8 impact would probably be fine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-profess ... 68424.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-ru ... 94119.html
1989 KDX 200
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I finally broke down and bought an electric 1/2" impact driver.

I screwed around enough with different air impacts, cheater bars, jamming rear wheels etc. I'm too old for all that crap.

I bought a 1/2", 110 v Ryobi. I was screwing around trying to change the blades on two riding mowers. I got that impact driver and Bang! they were off. Last year I must have spent an hour rigging stuff and using pipes and jamming blades into decks.

When shopping I noticed a BIG difference in listed output torque of electric vs air. I also assume the listed torque for air was with large air lines and 100 psi minimum.

Still, $180 bucks.......
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
stipud

Post by stipud »

national emergency resolved!
so it seems my budget let me down again...
i grabbed the air wrench from work and with bigger lines and obviously a better gun it came off...it was covered in loctite or some other concrete type gunk.
all good now though, i solved my dreaded clutch issue, i threw a file at the basket and flipped all the plates over so now there's no more lurching or stalling...happy as!
next time i come across a stubborn nut i may be just running out and buying electris though!
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

After I filed the basket on mine, the clutch became really noisy. You may notice the same thing. In neutral it is the loudest. It is caused by the extra play in the basket.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
stipud

Post by stipud »

ah...i did hear a new noise but i thought i was just being paranoid...i obsessively worry that i'm paranoid.. :roll: