Fuel pour out of carb when leaned over

Got questions? We got answers....
terminatr

Post by terminatr »

Is it normal for fuel to pour out of the carb when the bike is leaning over by about 45 degrees? The petcock was ON, and before I realize it, there was quite a large puddle on the floor.

I was trying to get the bike onto the repair stand. By the way, my Honda XR doesn't do this.
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Fuel pour out of carb when leaned over

Post by kdxquebec »

>|<>QBB<
terminatr wrote:Is it normal for fuel to pour out of the carb when the bike is leaning over by about 45 degrees?
Pretty common, but the leak should stop as soon the bike is straight on the repair stand.

Does it happens the same thing when the bike is on kickstand ?
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
terminatr

Post by terminatr »

Yes. As soon as bike straightened up, leak stoped.

Does this mean that if the bike fell over, it needs to be picked up right away or all the gas will leak out of the gas tank? Like if it falls over on the left and can't get to petcock to shut it off.
stipud

Post by stipud »

yeah, mine does that too, only when on the stand and it's leaning down hill a bit far...i've read that you can adj this by bending the float down a little so it doesn't fill the bowl quite so high, but haven't got around to doing mine yet...
it's not that im stipud, i just can't spell!
Terrence Sprocket

Post by Terrence Sprocket »

The way to adjust the angle that the fuel pours out is the adjust your float height. Properly adjusted float height should be about 45 degrees lean.
KDX ALL THE WAY!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Perfectly normal.
I've never met a bike that did not do that.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
VFR

Post by VFR »

I had a similar issue. I just did a full service to start the season and adjusted the float height slightly, we'll see if this helps.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

you want it to leak at a 45, that way you can drain out the stale fuel (some volatile elements have evaporated leaving an oil-rich blend) before you start it up. That is routine for any smoker that has sat for more than a couple of weeks, or even less. I flush mine before every ride by leaning it over - you'll find you get a lot less smoke and won't as easily foul plugs. Your fuel petcock should be off unless your running the engine.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.