KDX or modern 4-stroke

Got questions? We got answers....
terminatr

KDX or modern 4-stroke

Post by terminatr »

Hi. I have a dilema. My current ride is 01 KDX 220. It's raggedy. I've done my best to clean it up, grease everyone, setup suspension, etc. It runs good. It's reliable. It'll probably provide hours of good service. But I've been told to replace the piston and rings right away because the stock ones are known to be defective. The rimms are slightly bent. Some of the bearings need to be replaced soon. I will probably need to invest more money into it, to keep it running in tip top shape. So I can't help but think I should git rid of it and buy a newer bike. Either a modern 4-strokes or a newer KDX with "low miles". Does it make sense to keep throwing money into an old bike, when you can have a newer bike for about the same money?
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

2001 is not old in my opinion.

had the same questions as you a decade ago. Went for 600$ on the bike for bearing, brakes and worn out parts, tires and NEVER I will regret this crazy spending.

Can't help about the 4stroke thing :wink:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
kdxquebec wrote:2001 is not old in my opinion.

had the same questions as you a decade ago. Went for 600$ on the bike for bearing, brakes and worn out parts, tires and NEVER I will regret this crazy spending.

Can't help about the 4stroke thing :wink:
Same here. I have probably over $2k in my '90 KDX and I don't regret it one bit!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cragwl »

I just replaced wheel, swingarm, linkage bearings. Changed fork, trans, break, radiator fluids. Cleaned and rejetted Carb. Bought air filter, tires, break pads, and chain and sprokets. This winter I'll rebuild top end and clean kips valve. I'm no mechanic but found ample help here at kdxrider. My friends that ride 250 4strokes, seem to want to ride my kdx a lot. That's my opinion if anyone cares:-)
In dog beers, I've only had one.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

The new 4 strokes are amazing bikes. But if you blow a top end, you are into big $$. That is why there are tons of parts for sale, because they cost too much to fix.

I would be hesitant to buy a used 250 4t, unless I knew who had it very well, and how it was cared for.

I did buy a used 450, with no issues, but I ride the 96 KDX far more because it is easier to ride and it is less upkeep.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Oregon Trail

Post by Oregon Trail »

So as someone who has had a 250 4-stroke, has a KDX220 and a 450 4-stroke, it all depends on how you ride and where. If you're fast, ride open trails, then a 450 is a good choice. If you ride tight single track either a 250 4-stroke or your 220 is better suited. My 450 is totally wooded out; Rekluse, electric start, large tank, etc, fun in the woods but tiring. I love the KDX because it's easy to throw around on the trails and easy to ride. It may not be as fast as the 450 but just riding it puts a smile on my face. If I could only keep one of my bikes, it would be the KDX; cheap to maintain and fun to ride. :butthead:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Fixing your 220 is going to cost you way less than buying a newer bike. Absolutely nothing wrong with the KDX performance wise, unless your are talking racing MX. What is the hurry, anyway?

I will say a newer bike with the same design intent, say a KTM 200, will bring an equal smile to your face, will be "faster" and less tiring, and will cost about the same in upkeep.

For me a 4-stroke is out of the question, except for maybe an XR style.

What is the dilemma?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
terminatr

Post by terminatr »

Oh no. I don't want MX bike. I just want a simple trail bike.

Ocassionally, a super clean 2005 or 2006 KDX would pop up on Craigslist. And I can't help but want to get it to replace my ugly 2001. Just saw a real clean one for $1400.

I think I see surface rust on the bottle of my frame.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
Oregon Trail wrote:. If I could only keep one of my bikes, it would be the KDX; cheap to maintain and fun to ride. :butthead:
That's what I just did. I had an 07 WR250 souped up with YZ cam and upgraded exhaust - good bike. However, I noticed I didn't ride it as much as my KDX and the KDX was faster in the tight stuff (the USD's really made the difference). So the WR sold for an amazing 3650!! One guy was willing to drive 250 miles to get it! What? Pity the fools...lol... if they only knew! With the money and a bunch of change, I bought a low time KDX220 so I could have the best of both KDX worlds, I figure totally pimped out I'll have about 2000 in it and that includes the USD's and a cylinder replating cost (wierd deal there, a big chunk of plating was just missing on an otherwise perfect cylinder).
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Ocassionally, a super clean 2005 or 2006 KDX would pop up on Craigslist. And I can't help but want to get it to replace my ugly 2001. Just saw a real clean one for $1400.
Nothing wrong with that, either. The ugly one can be used to support the new clean one.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
bart

Post by bart »

We are doing a cr125 w/ powrall xr200 engine swap. 215 lbs dry, springed and valved for the trails. The newer crf250x is probably a solid new 4 stroke but like others say, parts and rebuild are bound to be expensive. Xr200 motors are pretty easy and cheap to rebuild. Clutches are cheap, parts are cheap.

I do love my KDX though.