klx to kdx?

Got questions? We got answers....
green4ever

klx to kdx?

Post by green4ever »

I've done a little searching and wasnt able to come up with any info.
I have a 97 klx300 with a blown tranny. I have a friend that has a 98 kdx 200 that hes parting out. Wondering how much modifying needs to be done to put the kdx motor in the klx. I'm gonna pick up the motor anyway and in a few days Ill be able to set them side by side. Just wondering if anyone has done this. I own 2 '91 kdx 250's but I dont know how different they are from a '98 200. P.S. LOVE THIS SITE!! Can read for days and never get bored!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

How bad is the transmission on the KLX? It might turn into more work than it's worth. Can you buy the whole KDX?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

What do you plan on using the bike for? For trails I would think you'd be better off to pick up the 98 KDX, fix it, and part out the KLX. Keep the KLX front end to put on the KDX if you like. Your KDX 250s are worlds apart from the H series 200.
green4ever

Post by green4ever »

Thanks for the replies! He has the bike promised to someone else less the motor. I dont get it either but Im gonna take the motor anyway. My son and I both ride the 250's and love them. Neither one of us cares for the klx much.
The 4strokes power band and pull is appealing but the kdx is just lighter feeling and has probably one of the best low end grunts from most 2 strokes.
We do alot of hare scrambles. Just playing mainly. The 300's tranny is locked up inside. Ill probably off the 300 and put the kdx motor on the bench for now. Thanks again
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

If you are getting the motor try to get the CDI, wiring harness, pipe, carb and airbox as well. You'd want those items to put that motor in any frame.

I've often thought that motor would be fun in a go-kart. Years ago we used to go to the Malls on Sunday and run the parking lots. Used to have the cops down there watching and betting on time trials..........
Them days are probably over....
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy