new2 kdx & neep some help

Got questions? We got answers....
IdahoRick

new2 kdx & neep some help

Post by IdahoRick »

well came up on hard time a few years ago and sold the wife's kx100 and a few weeks ago I got her a clean 04 kdx200 she did ok on the kx!00 but i thought the kdx200 would be a much nicer motor for her and it is the problem is she is only 5 foot tall and 125 pounds and not real strong the kxfit her better but the kdx motor is alot better i had the seat cut it came with a kuba link I dont know witch 1 and the forks are 1/2 inch down but she has a hard time starting it. So do i bite the bullet and get her a new crf150r or is there a way to lighten up the kdx and any one no if you can get a pair of alpinestars resoled with a inch rise lol. i realy dont want to buy a new bike. so how are you guys putten the kdx on a diet any help would be great.
IdahoRick

Post by IdahoRick »

also what abought wheeles can a guy put some kx100 rims and tires on a kdx?
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

About the wheels; even if you could retrofit smaller wheels on the kdx, I would think that the fork underhang would make the bike extremely dangerous. Catching those on a rock at speed sounds like a recipe for disaster.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If the seat is cut and it's running links and lowered forks it should be fitting her pretty good. Just give her some time to get used to it.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I suppose you could put smaller wheels on. People SM these bikes occasionally. 17" rear and 19" front?
A shorty kick start lever might help with starting.

I don't see any way to take a huge amount of weight off it. Not into KX100 territory, anyway. By the time you did all that you'd be better off getting another KX100. At 5' and 125 pounds she is perfect for a KX100.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
IdahoRick

Post by IdahoRick »

What's the stock pipe weight is there 10lbs there that can be cut?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The stock pipe and silencer are heavy on the H series bikes. An FMF pipe and S/A silencer would definitely chop a chunk of weight off the top end of the bike where it is even more noticeable. The power added would be a huge bonus as well.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I don't think my E silencer was really any heavier than the FMF or DG counterparts that I have. The stocker also seemed to be a nicer unit overall. The stock pipe is definitely rediculously heavy, and more suited as a boat anchor than an expansion chamber.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:I don't think my E silencer was really any heavier than the FMF or DG counterparts that I have. The stocker also seemed to be a nicer unit overall. The stock pipe is definitely rediculously heavy, and more suited as a boat anchor than an expansion chamber.
The E and H series silencers are completely different animals. The E series is a much better, and lighter, design compared to the H. However, I completely agree on the pipe.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
IdahoRick

Post by IdahoRick »

wanted to say thanks for the help. we have made a few rides and she is getting alot better on the kdx
Image[/img]
IdahoRick

Post by IdahoRick »

we found a old abandoned school i thought was cool.