clutch cover cracked

Got questions? We got answers....
nab

clutch cover cracked

Post by nab »

I recently replaced my kick starter and must have tweaked my clutch cover because after a long ride today i have a hair line crack running above the water pump housing that is weeping tranny oil. So my two questions are will a clutch cover for an 89 E1 fit my 92 E4 they are coming up as different part numbers. I would preferably just replace the whole cover instead of weld but has anyone had a welded clutch cover hold up ok. I just dont want to have to worry about it.

Thanks,
Ben
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I had a friend weld up a cracked clutch cover on my son's old CR80. My friend said he had a hard time welding it because oil kept coming out of the pores of the cast aluminuml and contaminating the weld. The weld still looked pretty good so I put the cover back on the bike but for the last 10 years oil seeps from the weld. Not much, just enough to make dirt stick to it and leave a smudge.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Years ago the rear gearbox on my quad caught a rock and it tore out the drain plug, along with a small crack.

I fixed it with a stick of epoxy putty.

I cleaned the surfaces real well before applying the putty and it has held up since 2004. It doesn't look "pretty", but it also hasn't leaked a drop of oil.

A good TIG welder could probably fix it, but as Brian said, the oil may make welding difficult.

Good luck :grin: .
nab

Post by nab »

There is a really nice e1 inner case on ebay that i really would rather pick up hopefully someone will know is there is a difference. Thanks for the input on the welding thats what i figured i got a buddy who can tig but its basically the water pump housing soo id rather not chance it last thing i need is for it to blow going down the trail :grin: Ran mint for four hours yesterday its my first kdx and i am already hooked :supz:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I think the only difference is in the bushing/seal for the water pump shaft. I have a clean extra sitting in my garage if you are interested. I don't think you'll have a problem using any cover from 89 - 94.
nab

Post by nab »

Thanks for the offer I actually picked up a full set of right side covers off of an 89 on ebay for cheap. I just ordered all the bearings plus seals, so have to see if they fit, I think the inner oil seal (second one in) is different like you said. Guess ill find out. :cool:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, the seal is different. However, it is recommended when replacing the water pump seal in the 89 to use the newer type seal from the 90+. Lasts longer or something. That's what I used in my 89, and I had no trouble with fitment. Come to think of it, I'm using an 89 clutch cover on a set of 91 cases, since the RH case was cracked when I bought my 89 bike. I bought the 91 case set of fleabay and it came with a right side clutch cover that I did not use. Hence the spare in my garage, lol.