NGK 8, or 9? Also, a couple other q's...

Got questions? We got answers....
Terrence Sprocket

NGK 8, or 9? Also, a couple other q's...

Post by Terrence Sprocket »

Hi all. I finally got my '90 KDX going with new top end rebuild including new nikasil. It's really crisp and tight. I noticed in the manual that it says to run the NGK B9es. I always thought you were supposed to run b8es? I put a 9 in for break-in for a cooler combustion. Should I leave the 9 in? The UK models call for BR9es, is it ok to run the br in the American models? The r means resistor, right?
Also, at operating temp the bike with idle low after a short rev, but it'll raise a bit after 3-5 secs. Nothing real bad, barely noticeable. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. It runs great and has nice throttle response the whole way around. I checked for air leaks with some quick start. I even checked the flywheel side crank seal. No change in idle. Would float height have anything to do with that? Also, I'm still running the 48 pilot jet. Could that be the calpret?
Oh, one more thing. I'm missing the coolent reserve tank. Is it safe to run it without that, or should I be grabbing a new one. Will it suck air through the coolant system without the reserve tank?

Sorry for all the Q's in one post. Just trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. Thanx.
KDX ALL THE WAY!
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

run the 9. it is okie. just gap it correctly.
A true KDX customizer!!
kingmoochr

Post by kingmoochr »

you will suck air if the system heats to the point of purging. if it starts spewing coolant, when it cools it will draw air into the radiator. dont overheat the bike and you will be fine. refill any purged water asap. i have ridden a couple bikes that dont have overflows. if wont kill the bike to run without it, but it will if you let the system fill with air. just monitor until you get a replacement. or ziptie a soda can on
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

better off running an 8
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:better off running an 8
Yep!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

On my last KDX, about 15 years ago, I put a new top end in it and for some reason ran a 9 in it for the break in. After about 3 years I felt bad for the plug and put an 8 in. I couldn't tell the difference.

These bikes are very compliant to what ever they get. I use a 8 but what ever you think you need will be fine!
Terrence Sprocket

Post by Terrence Sprocket »

8 produces hotter combustion. That's why the cooler 9 is recommended for break in. I always ran an 8 after break in, but in the manual it says that it called for a 9. I think I'll shoot it with a temp gun with both plugs and compare the temp differential. I'll let you's know the results.
I got a coolant reserve tank last night. Does anyone know where the bottom input nipple hooks up to? I can see it hooked up in the manual but can't see where it goes or if it's plugged off. Is it plugged off?
KDX ALL THE WAY!
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

>|<>QBB<
Terrence Sprocket wrote:8 produces hotter combustion. That's why the cooler 9 is recommended for break in.
the heat range of a plug affects the temp of the plug at the tip, not the combustion.

I found a quick link with more info for anyone who can't sleep - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_plug
1989 KDX 200