Thermostat

Got questions? We got answers....
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Thermostat

Post by Brian »

Now that I plated my KDX and have ridden it on the street some I've noticed that the engine runs too cold. The ambient temp has been in the 40's-50's. If I allow the engine to warm up to 150 degrees F or so and go for a ride, the engine temp keeps dropping untill it no longer reads on the Trail Tech speedo assy.

I was wondering if there is a thermostat available for the KDX since it has a thermostat housing.

I've been searching the web and can't find anything so far.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
david

Post by david »

You could try cardboard in front of the radiators to block the air flow. If that is too much, you can trim it back or cut some holes in it untill it runs where you want it.

My Honda GL500 will run very cold in the winter to the point where the gauge is laying on cold. It has a thermostat, but the cylinders get so much cooling from the passing air that is doesn't matter. It has never caused a problem though
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Right now I have strips of tape on them. I can add a strip or remove one as needed and so far it seems to work OK but not very convenient. When the weather worms up and dries out a little I want to be able to go trail riding and stuff without having to add or remove tape everytime I leave the trails or go up or down a long hill.

I worry that if the engine temp keeps cooling that at some point the engine might sieze because It's cold but I'm on the gas.

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

Subscribed. I've wondered about this too, curious what anybody knows about adding a thermostat.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

The SR model comes with thermostat. The part number is 49054-1063 for a 89-94 kdx200. might be the same as the H series. if anyone your side can order for you.
A true KDX customizer!!
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the part number KDXsq. I think the thermostat housing is the same for the E and H series but I'll double check.

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Thermostat

Post by Julien D »

You ever check on this, Brian? I've wondered, for when we ride in the winter.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Thermostat

Post by KDXGarage »

On the cover, the 1989 - 1991 part number superseeds to the 1992 - 2006 part number.

Ron Ayers shows the thermostat for $28.23.

The Kawasaki parts diagrams section on http://www.kawasaki.com does not show that part number.

Here's an ignorant question, can you just buy one for a car that is the same size and temperature opening??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Thermostat

Post by Julien D »

Interesting info on the year change. I'll have to take a look at my 89 and see if it has clearance for a thermostat.

If a car thermostat fit and was the same temp rating, I would think it should work. They're pretty simple,
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Thermostat

Post by SS109 »

You guys talking something like this? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEZ-WN0071/ It has 1.25" inlets but you could get creative with some molded heater hoses from an autoparts store to make it work. I also found a listing for a Polaris (Ultra, XCR, XC, Indy,680,600) inline thermostat on Ebay that might possibly be made to work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Inline- ... es&vxp=mtr
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Thermostat

Post by fuzzy »

I've ridden in some very cold stuff, and have never worried about it.....Probably as I didn't have a H2O temp gauge :mrgreen: Anyway, you won't cold sieze it. :cool:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Thermostat

Post by Julien D »

True, but keeping a more consistent operating temperature seems like it would be a good thing. Not to mention faster warm-ups on a cold morning. Just thinking out loud....
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Thermostat

Post by fuzzy »

Indeed.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Thermostat

Post by Brian »

I found several places online that carry that thermostat. Prices are from about $28-$35. I haven't checked yet to see if they actually have one in stock. As far as an automotive thermostat...I'd imagine you could use one but the hole is about the diameter of a quarter or so. It might be hard to find one that small. Right now I'm using tape over the radiators to modulate the engine temp.

kyledsmith87

Thermostat

Post by kyledsmith87 »

The SR model definitely has a thermostat, I have an engine apart looking at it right now.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Thermostat

Post by rbates9 »

The purpose of a thermostat is to hold the coolant in the coolant passage until it is saturated with heat then allow it to circulate to the radiator. With a thermostat installed you will not only gain a more consistent operating temperature but also gain better heat dissipation due to the coolant being in contact with the coolant passage longer absorbing more heat. If the coolant is allowed to freely pass thru the engine (as it does on a non SR or most other dirt bikes) it does not have time to absorb as much heat from the metal engine components and in result the engine actually runs hotter than if it had a thermostat installed. Also with a thermostat there will be a more consistent temperature throughout the cylinder and head.