Kickstarter

Got questions? We got answers....
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Kickstarter

Post by m0rie »

My kickstarter has developed this bad habit lately of kicking thru without any resistance. Slowly moving the lever thru the range of motion has resistance but a fast kick doesn't always seem to have the same affect. I've read that having too thick of oil doesn't let the kickstarter mechanism engage correctly when the oil is cold. I'm running the Mobil 15-50w right now and i'm going to change back to 10-40w and see if that helps. Any suggestions?

-Maurice
Last edited by m0rie on 11:25 pm Aug 09 2005, edited 1 time in total.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
John Cena

Post by John Cena »

Sounds like the kickstarter shafts spring is probably wearing out, the gear is not engaging quick enough. A new spring is $6.77
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Thanks John, i'll put that on my list of things to replace.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My 99 kdx220 does the same, but only skipping the first couple of teeth before engaging. I guess I'll look into a new spring too.

m0rie will be at Prospect over Labor Day. Will you? It's not too late!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

On the oil type issue, I had a problem that was solved by the type and weight of oil I was using in my tranny. I put in some Belray oil, can't remember the wieght. But anyways I started having trouble with down shifting. It did'nt want to downshift correctly. It just acted like it wanted to jamb up before going past neutral and down into first. It did'nt do this before the oil change so I tried puting 10W-40 oil back in. It took a couple rides and then finally straightened back out and now works properly. Oil can do funny things sometimes.

Jon.