First post, first question

Got questions? We got answers....
Shookyd

First post, first question

Post by Shookyd »

Does anyone know where to get a complete plastic kit for a 1990 KDX200 without paying more for it than the bike is worth? I saw some on Amazon and that didn't give year numbers but a part number I couldn't track back. Thanks in advance for all the help and good to be back on a KDX!!
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Welcome! My recommendation is to watch eBay and the parts section here. You can get decent deals on pretty good stuff. In fact I'd go look at the parts section right now as there has been some stuff up for sale.

I have replaced most of my plastics from these two sources for decent prices. I have no idea what the "new" kit costs but I have ~$100 in all "new" plastics (front/rear fenders, side panels, rad shrouds, some new and some used in very good shape). I am not always real patient so you might be able to do better.

A buddy of mine has a 86 KDX and he found a kit for around $200 IIRC. If that would help you I will track down the source and see if they have it for your '90.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
Shookyd

Post by Shookyd »

Would love to know the source. Cant wait.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I got my UFO shrouds from ebay for about $50 for the set, I got the side panels from FRP offroad for about the same price. I use a yz250 front fender, and a kx500 rear fender.
Shookyd

Post by Shookyd »

What are the year models for the yz250 fron fender and the kx500 rear fender?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Well, my yz250 front end is the reason I use the yz250 front fender. Honestly though you can pick any front fender you like and bolt it up. Might have to drill a couple new holes is all. The rear fender I believe is like 88+ kx500.
Shookyd

Post by Shookyd »

thanks
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

>|<>QBB<
Shookyd wrote:Would love to know the source. Cant wait.
Here's the link he sent me. It's to FRP and only for older versions of the KDX. Sorry.

http://www.frpoffroad.com/1986-1988-Pla ... ogId=-1039
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

FYI, the KX 500 '88 and up side panels are the same as the '89-'94 KDX, too. I've also wondered whether the KX 500 tank would bolt up, because the seats look identical. If the 500 tank works, and you fitted it to your E, then that would open up a new source of rad shrouds. I'm sure there are lots more 500 rad shrouds out there than E shrouds. Lots of similarities between the KX 500 and the E series KDX.
David Eckel
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

There are plenty of graphics out there for the kx5, yes. That is one ugly tank and shroud combo compared to the KDX though. Just IMO, and all. I'm almost positive that you could take a kx500 tank and seat and bolt them right on. I haven't been able to test that theory yet though. I had thought about it just as an option to get an inexpensive oversize tank. Unfortunately, the oversized KX5 tanks mostly hold the same amount as the stock E series KDX tank.