KDX 200 Question

Got questions? We got answers....
blackjack14

KDX 200 Question

Post by blackjack14 »

Recently picked up a cherry '04 KDX 2-Honey. Here's the question: on the right side subframe, there's a small (1/2") angled hollow tube welded right below the side panel. What's it for? The reason for the question, I had an encounter with a sappling of which I had no relation, putting me in a compromising position. That little 'thing' ripped my riding pants. If it's there for no reason, as the Japanese sometimes do, will it compromise world order if I relieve said subframe of the protruding 'thing'?
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Welcome to the site! I recall seeing a discussion on that thing and my recollection is that nobody knew what out was for ....
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
blackjack14

Post by blackjack14 »

That's pretty much the answer I've gotten from several sources. It's become an annoying little protrusion.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

best way to figure out what it is for and if it is important would be to get rid of it ;)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Oregon Trail

Post by Oregon Trail »

I thought it was an attempt to protect the rider from the exhaust at that point, :roll:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

>|<>QBB<
Oregon Trail wrote:I thought it was an attempt to protect the rider from the exhaust at that point, :roll:
hey, thats my que for a funny anekdote
i was 16 at the time, and my main means of transportation was a 50 CC suzuki TSX (heavily modded and with a big bore kit of course)
money was tight those days and so i had 2 paperroutes to see me through
one was downtown and got done on a bycicle, the other was out in the country and got done on the bike

it was a mighty cold winter and my hands were freezing through my gloves, so i had taken up the habbit of waroming my hands on the expansion chamber
it was bound to happen sooner or later and sure enough, one morning i grabbed the pipe a little too close to the barrel and instantaniously melted the better part of my glove

:oops:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

That small bent piece of tubing on the right side of the sub frame is of utmost importance. If that small piece were to no longer be there it would be a traumatic experience to even try to ride the bike. That piece is there to keep the calf from suckin. If you happen to notice, at no point does a calf (baby cow) ever suck on your bike. And you can be grateful for that small piece of bent tubing.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

it is for you to lift the bike rear end with your hand in case you kinda of stuck in the mud or etc. and in case of any crash, the tubing provide support for the side board panel. if it is really annoying just heat it up and bent it further inward. the japs are really good engineers. they dont just design something for nothing and increase production cost. not everyone is an idiot.
A true KDX customizer!!
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Think of it as the bike's appendix. It had a use at one time but now it's just there, hanging out and not really doing anything.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

i think its there to help protect the exhaust pipe in the event of a spill (i have seen something similar on another bike) i have also used this to help tie down the bike when transporting it around on a trailer..simply attatch the tie hook to this & strap the bike down with the tie over the seat...works well.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Between the number panel and silencer? It's a handle! :roll:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
tirebiter

Post by tirebiter »

On the trail out in the middle of nowhere, I use it in lieu of toilet paper..
Ahh, feels soo good... :wink:
If I can't do it, I'm sure someone else can!
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

yep. Lift handle.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150