crank seals

Got questions? We got answers....
cornishwrecker220

crank seals

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Typical...rebuilt the top end 3 months ago & now the crank seals have just given up! Can they be extracted & new ones installed without having to split the cases? The bottom end/mains etc all seems fine but if the motor has to come out & split then it`s just aswell i rebuild the bottom end while everything`s apart, trouble is money is a little tight at the moment :cry:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Cases must be split. If the seals are leaking, it is highly unlikely that the mains are still good anyway.
cornishwrecker220

I figured as much :cry: looks like i shall have to start saving my pennies... i haven`t ridden for almost a year due to injury but fired up the bike up every so often, i rebuilt the top end prior to my return, guess the crank seals went dry/hard in the meantime. thanks for quick reply.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Why in the hell Kawasaki screwed the pooch on this one serious detail is beyond me.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I see it as a good thing. I'm of the opinion that one should never replace the seals without replacing the bearings. I figure that's what Kawi had in mind with the design.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Indeed. I'd go further and do the lower rod bearing/rod while your in there. having the crank rebuilt also ensures good runout. Bad runout is well, bad, but will also trash a new seal quickly.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I have seen plenty of bikes that have had their seals replaced and not needed crank bearings plus gave many more years of service. Hell, the seals on my 200 started leaking which is why I planned my rebuild. When I pulled it apart the crank bearings were still in excellent shape and the same with rod big end and all the bearings/bushings in the transmission. All it really needed was the crank seals. Yes, I bought all new everything but I sure could have saved a bunch and a lot of hassle if it was an easier to service design.
'11 GasGas EC250R
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoKDX220r »

no one ever moded a kdx to be able to get this seal out easily ?
like grinding the seal stopper and replacing it by a plate bolted somewhere in the crankcase ? (when the case is splitted)
Everytime I do thoses seals I wonder if it can work..
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I have seen a thread some time ago where someone milled off the stops and tapped some holes for some removable stops to be attached so you could remove the seals from the outside. I have yet to see a leaking crank seal that didn't have a bearing with excessive play behind it. Seems silly to change the seals and not fix the cause of the problem. I'm not sure what qualifies as "plenty of bikes" or "years of service". Either way, I don't buy it.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I could see it being nice to be able to replace the seals mid season to get thru the rest before a off season tear down.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

True, I guess. There is no mid-season here. I trail ride, and I ride all year.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:True, I guess. There is no mid-season here. I trail ride, and I ride all year.
Yes you are a lucky bugger :evil: I'm almost in the inbetween season where there is no longer safe ice to ride and yet there is still too much snow.....
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
paulkdx220

Post by paulkdx220 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:I see it as a good thing. I'm of the opinion that one should never replace the seals without replacing the bearings. I figure that's what Kawi had in mind with the design.
:roll:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Wow. So what are you trying to say there, Paul? Make sure you say it sevreral times, so we can all hear you.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:I have yet to see a leaking crank seal that didn't have a bearing with excessive play behind it. Seems silly to change the seals and not fix the cause of the problem. I'm not sure what qualifies as "plenty of bikes" or "years of service". Either way, I don't buy it.
So, you're calling me a liar? Really? Have I ever given reason to doubt my word? Please don't start acting like the A-holes over at DirtRider where you are the only one who is right and all others are idiots, please.

BTW, "Plenty of bikes means" more than three IMO. Also, "years" means more than one year.
'11 GasGas EC250R
cornishwrecker220

took the flywheel cover off today & noticed a tiny bit of oil in the housing so i wiped it away then fired the bike up...she started ok & began to idle without any problem...i sprayed some carb cleaner in & around the flywheel & the rpm did not increase?? also i inspected the gearbox level & it dosent appear to have dropped (i will change it & inspect for fuel contamination) i will take the bike for a small ride then remove the flywheel cover & inspect again...could my seals have dried up a little while the bike was sat about,now after the bike is being used again they maybe on the way out or perhaps they may begin settle down again??
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:I have yet to see a leaking crank seal that didn't have a bearing with excessive play behind it. Seems silly to change the seals and not fix the cause of the problem. I'm not sure what qualifies as "plenty of bikes" or "years of service". Either way, I don't buy it.
So, you're calling me a liar? Really? Have I ever given reason to doubt my word? Please don't start acting like the A-holes over at dirtflamer where you are the only one who is right and all others are idiots, please.

BTW, "Plenty of bikes means" more than three IMO. Also, "years" means more than one year.
Not at all man. I'm just stating my experience, nothing more nothing less. If you've had better experience with main bearings than me, that's great. I honestly think it's a VERY good idea to change the main bearings any time you are replacing the seals, that's all.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

OK, I'm glad what I read is not what I read it to be. Don't scare me like that!
'11 GasGas EC250R
paulkdx220

Post by paulkdx220 »

jullend, didn't mean anything nasty with my rollie eyes emoticon

i just meant that it's convenient to be able to change just seals if you wanted.
it would suck if you only had a bad seal and you end up having to do a bottom end job.

:partyman:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Understood. And all I meant is that it is highly unlikely that you are ever going to have only a seal bad.