need help with a KX 100

Got questions? We got answers....
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

need help with a KX 100

Post by FLAKDX »

Well I know it's not a KDX but it's still green :mrgreen:

Local kid dropped off his severaly trashed 04 KX100 to me the other day saying it wont start. After cleaning it up, fixing the brakes, going through every electrical connection and cleaning the tank and carb throughly I'm stumped and need help.

It's got good compression (havent tested it yet but I'm about to), good fuel delivery, the reeds are fine and it has spark with the plug out checking it on a cylinder stud. New plug and fuel didn't help. It will not fire under compression. I have not tried push starting it since my workhorse 4 wheeler is still out on loan and I aint pushing. LOL

Does anyone here know are these bikes prone to killing coils?? Over the years thats been my expierence that when a coil is weak it will fire under no load but not under compression. Under no load the spark it pretty damn soild and blue. Any help would be appreciated as I may buy this thing cheap for my daughter if the kids parts bill starts getting real high.
03 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's a 100 and you won't push it? :lol: Comeon now... It not like trying to bump off a XR650 I had one time... just skid is all it would do....

Air, Fuel and spark... gotta be one of em! Try the one off of your KDX.... it should work to troubleshoot.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

(slaps forhead with palm of hand) :blink:

Why didn't I post here sooner??? LOL

thats a good Idea Inda thanks :)

I'll ty it tommorow but I still aint pushing. The back tire is a full blown slick all its gonna do is skid to. LOL I should take a picture of this poor thing or at least I should have taken a picture before I cleaned it up. Poor little green guy :sad:
03 220R
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

C'mon give us a look at the poor lil thing. :shock:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

I'll take some pictures tonight when I get home :lol:
03 220R
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:supz: :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

Your making me regret not taking pics before I cleaned it. LOL don't worry though there are still some great photos of class A neglect LOL :shock:
03 220R
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

Well you wanted pictures of the poor thing here ya go.

03 220R
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

On another note I think I found the problem. Checking the flywheel, timing and stator plate tonight I noticed the cover was caved in right on the spot where the Mag pickup is. He then proceeded to tell me it alwys started third kick till his bad crash (hence the broken foot peg) and ever since he had to kick the hell out of it. I'm pretty sure the intermitent spark is being caused by the mag pickup being all jacked up. It's kinda twisted and I can see where it was actually hitting the weight on the flywheel itself. Looks like the shifter jammed into the cover real hard when he wrecked it.

Think I'm on the right rack in my diagnosis guys??
03 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Gotta give the kid credit... he has rode the piss outta that thing! :shock:

Sound like your on it !
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Cheers mate. :supz:

That rear tyre is balder than a babies ass. She'd be a nice lil ride when shes all healed up.