Mid Rebuild on 2000 KDX220, few questions

Got questions? We got answers....
Nickj03b

Mid Rebuild on 2000 KDX220, few questions

Post by Nickj03b »

Ok guys I had been putting off rebuilding the top end for some time, however today I decided to tackle it using the online manual (which is excellent by the way). Everything came apart smoothly, other than being sprayed in the face with coolant when I had to use some force to get one of the hoses off.

I have included some pics and want to see what you guys think. The piston, head, and cylinder did not look anywhere near as bad I would have thought. I was under the impression that this bike had never had a rebuild, what do you guys think? I'm pretty sure that a non Wiseco piston was in there. Also, do the reeds look stock (I want to order some power reeds and don't want to duplicate). I plan on sending the head to Ron for the mod. Other than following the manual for re-assembly, is there anything else that looks off or bad in relation to the pics I posted?

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

First, welcome to the forum!

Those reeds do indeed look stock.

I'm not sure on the piston. Is that an A stamped on top? If so, it's probably stock. You'll want to be sure you have a forged piston in it. If it were a Wiseco, it would have a W on the wrist pin boss, viewable from the underside of the piston.

I'm not sure what's going on with that cylinder. Scrub it down with some WD-40 and scothbrite and get another pic. Looks like some pitting or corrosion or something. Could be just dirty though.
Nickj03b

Post by Nickj03b »

That is just dust in the cylinder. I cant see any pitting/chipping/scratches on the walls of any kind.
bart

Post by bart »

Just curious, which service manual are you referring to?
Nickj03b

Post by Nickj03b »

Cyclepedia