E series piston ring tolerance?

Got questions? We got answers....
Terrence Sprocket

E series piston ring tolerance?

Post by Terrence Sprocket »

Does anyone know what the piston ring tolerance is suppose to be on an E series (89-94) 200? Just got my cylinder back. I put the rings in the cylinder to see how tight they were. They're pretty tight looking. Like, maybe less than 0.5 mm. Is that normal? I haven't measured yet, just eye balling. Actually, it almost seems like one may be tighter :shock: . They are std bore Kawi oem rings. Both have a faint small R on each ring. Also, I'm sure this is no biggy, one of those R's is from a different stencil. Wierd?
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Piston ring end gap spec is .15 - .35mm, with a service limit of .7mm. The side of the ring with the R stamp faces up.

I've probably said this before, but I highly recommend investing in a service manual. The forums are great, but nothing takes the place of a proper shop manual.
Terrence Sprocket

Great. Sounds like it's in spec. Glad you can help Juliend. You're right about getting a service manual. That would certainly have answered about 85% of my posted questions. My local shop said that I can borrow their manual cause it very rarely ever gets used anyway. I definitely need it for synchronizing my KIPS. Maybe I'll photo-copy it. Lol. Just kidding, I'll order one.

Thanx.
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

NP man.

That link at the top left of this page takes you to the cyclepedia manual for 89-94 models. The one year subscription is a great deal for cheaper than a factory manual. The color pictures are great, and you can just print out what bits you need when you need them. Before your year is up, make sure you print the whole thing. It should be all you'll ever need as far as a shop manual goes.
Terrence Sprocket

Nice! I'll definitely be doing that. Thanx
KDX ALL THE WAY!