Rebuilding 99 KDX200 and swingarm zerk holes

Got questions? We got answers....
hlewis
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Rebuilding 99 KDX200 and swingarm zerk holes

Post by hlewis »

I recently bought a 99 KDX200. I got it pretty cheap and was really excited to get it home. It was not running when I bought it because the choke pull was broken. I was able to start it but it ran like crap because I assume a ton of air was being pulled through the choke hole.

Anyways as I was waiting for parts to arrive I knew that I had a problem with a swingarm bearing. I wasn't sure which bearing it was so I decided to replace all of the swingarm bearings as well as all wheel bearings. I did not replace the steering bearing as it looked fine. I ordered the choke pull and waited and waited. It never came. I kept messing with the bike and before I knew it I had taken the bike completely apart.

I thought well since the frame looks like crap maybe I'll sand it down and paint it. Well I don't know if anyone has ever tried to sand a frame by hand but if you have then you know it sucks terribly bad and takes all of you free time and then the next thing you know your wife is hating the fact that you bought another bike. So I said screw and had it sandblasted. The guy that sandblasted it for me talked me into letting him powder coat it. He said he would do everything for $130 and at this point I was just ready to have it done so I said go for it. Here is a before and after pic.

Also I couldn't help but look at the piston and cylinder probably didn't need it but I wanted a starting point so I bought a new Wiseco piston and rings, new gaskets, new V-Force 3 Reeds, 1" handle bar risers, longer arm for my Scotts Stabilizer, Seal Skinz (Wish I had bought the longer ones), and a new rear fender (the one that came with the bike had a huge hole in it), an MSR kick stand, Power Connections frame guards and an MSR skid plate, and trail tech hour meter. So here is the finished bike minus the skid plate.

I wish I had went with new plastics but I didn't really want to spend anymore money on it.

I found that the previous owner had put grease nipples on the swingarm bearings. Apparently whoever did this did not think that the chain may hit the nipple but it did and pulled that side out resulting in a stripped out hole.

I was thinking of just filling the hole with JB Weld and doing away with the grease nipple.

Does anyone have a better way of going about this or think that JB weld is a bad idea?
99 KDX200
94 KDX250 - Sold 12-17-11
86 XR200
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I find the swingarm bearings do fine with a 12-18 month maintenance interval. I'd fill the hole JB weld or RTV and be happy. Watch that JB weld does not run down the hole into places you don't want it!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rebuilding 99 KDX200 and swingarm zerk holes

Post by Velocity_Stack »

I ordered the choke pull and waited and waited. It never came. I kept messing with the bike and before I knew it I had taken the bike completely apart.
That is classic! Had me laughing most of the night.
hlewis
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by hlewis »

Everything I do always snowballs into something more.
99 KDX200
94 KDX250 - Sold 12-17-11
86 XR200