Trail Tech computer for 1989 KDX 200

Got questions? We got answers....
KDriderX

Post by KDriderX »

So....I am new to this site and new to my bike but I LOVE it so far. I am trying to get a computer for my 1989 KDX200 and have had no luck. I do apologize if this same comment is buried in here but I have tried searching it with every word I thought possible. I see plenty for the 95-06 KDX, but nothing for mine. I emailed Trail Tech and the person didn't have too much info and said a generic one might work but needed to know my inside diameter of a coolant hose? I guess for the temp sensor? Just seeing if anyone knows of one that will work, even if some modifications are in order. BTW I do have the stock forks which I had seen an older KDX200 but he had new style KX forks..

Thanks for any help!

Brian
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The 95-06 unit should work just fine.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

It won't be a plug and play installation. You'll have to adhere a magnet to the front hub and install a sensor on your fork, but it's not really a big deal.
David Eckel
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

You COULD get the odometer sensor from a C series bike ('86-88) and splice it into the sensor lead for the Trail Tech, but I imagine you can make the kit for the H series KDXs work just fine without doing that.
David Eckel
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

mine is also the e series kdx. i used the h series trail tech computer. just need to bolt on the magnet to the brake disc bolt hole and adjust the sensor just barely above the magnet. no extra mod needed.
A true KDX customizer!!
KDriderX

Post by KDriderX »

So I got the '95-06 computer and am finally installing it and cannot seem to find a "simple" way to make the speedometer work. Meaning I can't find a way to attach the magnet to the hub. If I remove one of the Phillips screws and then drill and tap the hole bigger to fit the magnet it still sits too high and will rub on the caliper on a revolution. Any pointers or make a custom way too attach it? Somebody must have one with pics out there....please?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Please post a pic of the interference between the magnet and caliper as I just can't see that being a problem.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Bob H

Post by Bob H »

I had the same issue,(have). I was going to just jb weld the free magnet to the hub- but wanted to see what other solutions there are. The issue described was my problem- replacing one of the brake disc bolts with the supplied bolts, their head sits too high, hitting the brake caliper mount as it rotates.
Any solution yet?
Bobby
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Again, I would like to see a pic of the interference. I would assume, since no pic to actually see it, that you could grind the clearance you need into the caliper mount.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R