Ski, Slick stuff For the Front Forks.

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Ski, Slick stuff For the Front Forks.

Post by jafo »

Ski, i think it was you who mentioned the slick coating for the front forks. What was the name of that stuff and whats involved with applying it?

Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

forslyk
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mixed reviews.... at $40 - $50 a 1oz bottle.... I'll live with my stiction.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Then whats the stuff they use on the production KTM's? Thier forks were suppose to have a special slick coating I think it was on thier 06' model bikes. Is it the same coating?

Man that stuff is kinda expen$$$$ive. Holy Cow. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info guys.

Jon. :grin:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I doubt KTM would use something made up in some guys kitchen... gotta be something else...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

jafo - from a quick Google search, the KTM stuff seems to be their proprietary formulation of anodizing. What skipro3 was talking about (Forslyk) is a spray-on liquid cleaner followed by a spray-on liquid that you let dry and then buff off, as best I remember. Anyway, no, Forslyk and the KTM coating are not the same.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

OK, I was just wondering.

Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I know you bought your KX forks used. Did you replace the fork seals after you got them, or do you know the history on them? I ask because worn seals and/or bushings may cause some friction.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I took the forks to Emigs. He put stock seals and dirt seals back in with the re-valving. So yes they are new. Probably have oooohhhh, I'd say 75 miles on them by now maybe more.

Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Oh, good. Then what are ya worryin' about? :grin: Just ride. :mrgreen:
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Jason wrote:Oh, good. Then what are ya worryin' about? :grin: Just ride. :mrgreen:
Right on dude! Oh forgot my knee was screwed up. I'll probably be off the bike for awhile after tomorrow bar some miracle.

Some of my worry'n stems from my drag racing days. The closer I get to competeing, the more I search for things that will give me any advantage I can get no matter how small or insignifigant (speelled wrung I no). It's a curse realy. I'm highly competetive and hate to loose. So I'll probably be on pins and needles after every race. Why? Because I know I'm no where near as fast as some of the guys I'll be racing. Getting old sucks. I am getting the old "kid" feeling back though the more I ride. You know the feeling, no fear. throttle wide open all hell break'n loose. Not thinking about how bad it's gonna hurt when you screw up. That kind of feeling. Got it in the woods riding yesterday. I was whizzing through the tree's and a little voice popped in my head " you better go back to the truck and cool off before you get implanted in a tree". Eye's wide open then and to the truck I went. I was amazing myself of how fast I was getting around the area. Of coarse there was no giant hills or creek crossings in my route, but there were plenty of trees and big rocks.

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Forkslyk is not worth the money. It's amazing some of the crap I've read on DRN from supposedly knowledgable guys who have tried the stuff. Sure, they make the forks slick for the first few miles, then it's gone. The manufacturer claims it lasts a year, right!
Save the coin and don't buy or even bother to try this stuff. Let that be my lesson for the day.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WHAT?! I thought you loved that stuff. Well, thanks for the report.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

UH OH Angry money :shock:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

It wasn't much; $40 or so. I don't mind spending the money. Or even admitting that it doesn't last or work like I was told it would; lasts for a year and has the same affect as titanium coated fork legs they said.
What I'm a little peaved over is that so called experts on the DRN site praised the snake oil. I've seen them blast other such products, so I figgered why not try it with all their praise. I found a good coat of Plexus after every ride works just as well.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There 'ya go! Plexus is great stuff on goggle lenses. I didn't think of using it on the forks.

I did give mine coat of Triflow (teflon) when I had them apart, though. Would have been interesting to do the 'ski' test to see if there was any change in seal restriction.

Silkolene's hard plastic protector might be worth looking into, too. That's slick stuff!

Angry money...Ha! Is that another Aussieism? I haven't heard it before.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Confusion reigned and we all got wet..... :lol:

Aussieism ?? Now I'm confused too.... :shock: :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."