Post by shizcol »

Yea the swing arm is in great shape beaides the bearing part
1991 kdx 200
1988 kx 250
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The only way I see to get that outer bearing race out is to use a dremel and carefully cut a groove until you can peel it out.

The lips where the seals go can be cleaned up. When assembling the new bearings/seals/bushings there is nothing wrong with using a little RTV between the seal and the swingarm to fill in those gouges.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
romanm

Post by romanm »

Try this....Youll need...

-C-clamp
-One big socket...you wan tthe race to be able to slide through it....not too big though becuase it needs to be able to rest on the swingarm...you might be able to use a block of wood with a hole bored into it aswell....once again big enough for th ebearing race to pass through
-One socket that will just fit inside the hole. You want it to be as big as possible so that it applies pressure as far to the ouside of the race as possible.
-WD40
-Torch

step 1. Spray lots of wd 40 in there.
step 2. Set the jig up. Your going to pr pressing the socket against the bearing to press it out. The block of wood is on the other side. The c-clamp wil be resting up against this so the Race has somewhere to go. Without it the race will only move untill it hits the c-clamp
step 3. Heat up the aluminum on the outside.
step 4. Once its nice and hot, start turningthe c-clamp. The race should start moving soon
shizcol

Post by shizcol »

Damn looks like uve had to do that before lol. I ordered one today should have it next week
1991 kdx 200
1988 kx 250
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

a swingarm? How much was that!
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
romanm

Post by romanm »

Damn looks like uve had to do that before lol. I ordered one today should have it next week
Yup. I had to replace my bearings on my kdx 250. I also like to take them out to clean them. You can use a hammer, but that method destroys things.

You press them in the same way, just make sure you grease up the inside first so when it comes to taking it out again its not seized.

The method I described is very easy to use, and easy on the bearings if you want to reuse them
shizcol

Post by shizcol »

>|<>QBB<
Fletch wrote:a swingarm? How much was that!
i got a good deal on a used swing arm in great condition with good bearings for 80 shipped..
1991 kdx 200
1988 kx 250
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

if they really are in good shape then you're much better off than re-using the old one...I don't see the bearing lasting very long.
shizcol

Post by shizcol »

Got a call from the shop and aparently my bottom end is junk. Gotta have all new bearings, seals, and rod kit put in. And on top of that my cylinder has to be replated.. Along with a new top end kit. So i guess its gonna be longer then i thought to get on the kdx.. But i guess when its all done i will be happy cause it will have a new motor. Just hated getting that call.
1991 kdx 200
1988 kx 250