Power loss in the middle - '05 KDX220

Got questions? We got answers....
grump99

Post by grump99 »

My KIPS sticks just like yours between rides. It just takes a little bit of carbon in the wrong spot to do it.

All I do is take off the slotted cover. Then I put a socket on the exposed KIPS nut and give it a TINY little twist with my hand only (NO RATCHET).

Once it breaks free, it works perfect for the rest of the day. It only sticks for me when I let the bike sit for a while.

I can also get it to break free if I rev the bike real hard, but that's not good for the KIPS components.

I only have 1000 miles on this top-end, so I'm not about to tear it down yet.

I tried Sea-Foam in the tank to help prevent sticking, but it didn't work.

Hope this info helps, glad you found the issue. Worst case, you can tear it down and clean the KIPS.

:grin:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Some 2 stroke oils leave less deposits. I'm not going to say any one is better than the other but it might be worth a try with a different oil. What are you using now?
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

I remember reading a old post about KIPS becoming gummed up and not wanting to operate correctly.

What I got out of the thread was the choice of 2 stroke oil used in the fuel mixture....... some will gum and some burn off much cleaner.

One thing that stood out to me was that some of the higher priced oils could gum up the system (castor based I think), but there was this one person that highly recommended Motul 800 synthetic, said he used it for quite some time after his top end job, pulled it back down many rides later to do another top end (maybe rings) and he said everything was "slick and yummy".

That right there sold me, so bought some Motul 800 for mine.

So, if you plan on breaking it down for a good KIPS service cleaning, I would stop and think about what kind of oil to use from that point forward.
ack

Post by ack »

Thanks, guys. It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who's dealt with this sticking KIPS components, and that I can ride it before I get to the thorough cleaning. I think I have less than 30 hours on this piston/rings and don't want to tear it down again, but I will if I have to.

I've tried several different 2T oil pre-mixes in the KDX. Right now, I'm using up the last of the Redline. I have an unopened container of Amsoil Dominator that I was going to use next.

I may just go out an get some Motul 800 and give it a try first.

Thanks to all for the great replies - lots of useful information in there.
Steve
Raleigh, NC
'05 KDX 220, '00 KTM 200 MXC, '04 KLR 650, '03 WR450
Just learnin' and looking to have fun.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I have no trouble with amsoil interceptor or dominator. Interceptor is supposed to be more friendly for power valves though, fyi.