What year is my bottom end? 89, or 90?

Got questions? We got answers....
Terrence Sprocket

What year is my bottom end? 89, or 90?

Post by Terrence Sprocket »

Hi there. I just went to order crank seals for my KDX 200. My frame is from a 1990 model. My cylinder and head are from a 1989 model (e-1). I was hoping that the crank seals would have the same part number for the 2 years, but with my luck, they are different. Anyone know of anyway to see what year bottom end I have without removing the old crank seals? The engine case vin shows 89-92 so I'm kinda stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx.
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The part number may have changed, but the part is the same AFAIK. If you order a crank bearing and seal kit from an aftermarket company they use the same bearings and seals from 89 to 06.

Also, this section is for suggestions and questions for the site mods in regards to functions or setup of the site. This belongs in General Q/A, so I am moving it there.
Terrence Sprocket

Oops. Sorry. New to the site and wasn't sure about where to put the post. I went right to the kawi dealer, it was a new guy at the desk. I thought it was weird that they were different. I thought the only real difference was the water pump between those 2 years. Weird right? Do u know if I'm able to get just the seals from an aftermarket company, or would I have to get the kit with bearings aswell? Maybe I'll go back to the dealer tomorrow and see if the regular parts crew will be in. I'm also going to look on bikebandit.com to confirm part numbers under the oem section. Thanx for the info.
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah you can get an aftermarket seal kit. You could also just go order the seals for either year from your dealer. Doesn't matter. FYI, you have to split the cases to change the seals, so best get a set of main bearings to install while you're in there. Also, bike bandit uses their own part number scheme, like many other suppliers, so the numbers there will not match the actual kawi part numbers. I believe you can get the actual kawi part numbers from servicehonda.com.
Terrence Sprocket

Hey, just looked on servicehonda.com, you're right. Part numbers are the same (92049A). Glad u could help. I wonder if the guy at the parts counter was looking on bikebandit.com LOL. it prob wouldnt hurt to get the bearings too. Thanx. Can't wait to get the KDX in order for the spring season. A buddy of mine gave me a carb from a 94 KX125. I'll prob jet it and run it while my carb goes to rb. I'm also ganna pick up an extra head so my bike won't be down while rb has it all. (well, I still gatta contact him). Thanx again.
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yes. If you're main seals are leaking, changes are the bearings are bad. Best to change them now since you'll be in there anyway.

Glad I could help!
Terrence Sprocket

Hey. Just got back from the dealer. They could only get me oem crank bearing/seal kit or all-balls. I definitely don't want the all-balls kit! They keep saying that one seal is different from 89 and 90. I ordered the 1990 kit. I hope it's the one I need. Is there a way to check with my engine cases to see if it's 89 or 90? The engine vin is : KHI DX200 EE010790.

I wonder if the the last 2 numbers indicates that it's a 1990 model? My frame is 1990 and my head is 89 (e-1). I just don't know if someone put an 89 top end on it, or maybe it's a complete 89 motor. Anyone know for sure how to check?
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Terrence Sprocket

The only other number I found on the bottom end was 1484, which is on the right side centre case. Anyone have this number on theyre KDX? Maybe an 89 or 90?
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

This all confused me a bit, so I double checked. 83 - 90 calls for the same bearing and seal kit. 91 - 06 has a different part number. I think your dealer is retarded. Whether you ordered the 89 or the 90 bits you will be fine.
Terrence Sprocket

I too am confused. Aftermarket kits say 83-90. But if u try to order oem individual seals it says that the 89 and 90 seals are different, well, just one anyway. Trust me, I triple checked. Actually, to buy the crankcases as a set, the 89 and 90 cases are different aswell. I know it sounds crazy, but I've constantly checking only to find that oem seals for those 2 years are different. Wierd tho cause aftermarket kits say from 83-90.
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Terrence Sprocket

I'm sure the 90 seals will work in a 89 bottom end. But I wonder what's different? If anyone doesn't believe me that they're different, go to Cyclepartsnation.com to verify......

Also while you're there, check the crank case set part numbers. They're different too.

I know aftermarket says it'll work, but oem kawi part numbers say other wise.
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Interesting. :partyman:
Terrence Sprocket

Big time interesting. I don't think im ever going to find out if it's a 89 or 90. The only numbers I can get off the net for the cases are case sets, which don't really help cause each case is numbered individually on it it's own, not in a set. So the set numbers don't match the individual cases. I found -1484 on my right case. If anyone has a 89 or 90 KDX can they PLEASE check if they also have this part number? It's on the back high side of the case. You have to look from the left side and under the carb to see it. I hope someone can help. Though, I think the left case is the one that's actually different cause that's the side that takes the different OEM crank seal. So, 89 and 90 may both have this part number. Also, my Engine vin# reads KHI DX200 EE010790. Do u think the 90 at the end means it's a 90 model? Probably just a fluke. Lol. Any help is beyond greatly appreciated.

Thanx...
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Terrence Sprocket

Hey, after searching my brains out some more, I found an old post topic that says that the early e series KDX200's had a different crank. The older one has a bolt instead of a nut holding the flywheel on? Is this the 89 model? My flywheel is held on by a nut, so would it be 1990? Or did some 89's get the bolt and some other 89's got the nut holding the flywheel on? I think I may be on to something if someone could confirm this.......
KDX ALL THE WAY!
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

When I went thru my '89 bottom end I bought a '92 bottom end from one of my friends to use some parts.

I can't remember which, but one of my crank used a bolt and the other one a nut.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

My 89 has a bolt, my 91 had a nut.
Terrence Sprocket

Awesome news! Hey, does anyone have a 90 model that can put there 2 cents in? Just to make sure it's a 90. If ALL the 90's had the bolt too, then mine would be a 91. But I'm pretty sure that I read that the first 4000 US models had the bolt. That might make a few 90 models have the bolt. But prob just the 89 models. That must be why OEM crankcase sets are different between the two years aswell as the left oem crankseal. You wouldn't believe the size if the smile on my face from FINALLY getting to the bottom of this! :lol: . Special Thanx to all that could help.
KDX ALL THE WAY!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Good to know.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Terrence Sprocket

Yea, weird tho ehh? Aftermarket crank bearing/seal kits all labelled " fits 83-90". ( which I'm sure they do). But oem says 89 and 90 have a different crankseal on the flywheel side. ( hinse, the different crank). But what's even weirder is the the oem part numbers are the same but the 90 model seal has an additional letter at the end of the part number. I think the 1990 seal is thicker, and I think that either way, the 89 or 90 seal will work on either models. I think one just may be a little thicker. I just had to know tho. It was driving me crazy! :mad: .
KDX ALL THE WAY!
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

Terrence

Got your PM. From what i've been able to find out if you have the earlier serial number up to

( - DX200AE004018)

your flywheel is held on by a bolt and you should use parts for the early 89 kdx (up to that serial number).

If your number is DX200AE004019 or higher order parts for the 90-91 or newer, up 1994.

Figuring out Kawasaki's parts fiche can be a pain. Good luck and keep us posted. When it comes to seals and such I do prefer OEM parts. It seems a lot of aftermarket companies don't do their homework and don't catch mid year production changes like these.