KDX Heretic

Got questions? We got answers....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

KDX Heretic

Post by Colorado Mike »

I like my bike, really, I do. It's easy to ride and pretty dependable, handles okay, and makes okay power. It's kinda like the girl that has a great personality.

The devil came to tempt me today, dressed in the guise of a KX500. I had always heard tales of the explosive power of these things and how unsuitable they were for trail riding. How trying to get one jetted would surely drive you mad...after a while, these claims started to take on the tones of my mother's voice in my head, telling me about the "bad girls down the road" when I was a teenager. I began to think I knew better. I was seduced, and rode it for a few miles. I like it. A lot. I want one now. My son saw the seduction take place, and saw an oppurtunity. He sized up my bike. He rode it around for a while. I saw the same thing happening to him.

I found the 500 to be a lot easier to ride than I thought it would be. No doubt it has a lot of power and commands respect, but if you get the chance to ride one, take it. You might be surprised at well it responds at low speeds and easily you can manage the power. The suspension seemed to be a good bit better than the KDX, but this is subjective, it may be that the KX simply rips bumps out from under itself, verses dealing with moving the wheels up and down. :rolleyes:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

More like Bloodstone! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Ski's got a friend with a tricked out KX500 that he wants to sell...If you came out west for Labor Day maybe you could give it a ride? :lol:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

There are several of my riding buddies that ride KX5s. They seem to work well even in the tight stuff. It's all about throttle control. There are definatley places that the 5 is a handfull :shock: ...but then again the KDX can be a handfull in places too. Ussually it's not the same places though :wink: .

Everytime I get a chance to ride the 500's, I feel the same way Mike. Infact, I almost bought one... :sad: I was really impressed with how the KX5s handled. They turned so much better than I had expected. The power was huge, but very controlable and smooth. Sand washes, whoop sections and jeep roads are a dream on the KX5 compared to the KDX. It would take some serious getting use to before I'd try to ride one on some of the stuff the KDX loves.

If I had the money, I'd have a KX250, KX500 and the KDX. Hmmm. What do you think a used kid would go for?
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

KX500 do make decent trail bikes for areas that are not all muddy and root infested IMO. The KX and CR 500s were used by a lot of the older riders for high elevation riding in Montana and Idaho. Great low end torque and fair handling in the tight stuff.

Long life engines, relatively low maintenance and low costs are some of the pro: High tire replacement costs :mrgreen: :razz: , fatigue from starting and throttle control are the cons.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Not being familiar with KX 500's, how do they differ from the power of 4 stroke 450's besides they are a 2-stroke? IdahoCharley, why would roots and mud play a factor in the 500's woods ridability? Sorry for the questions, I'm just curious.

Jon. :razz:
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

My guess in mud is because of the power delivery. Getting traction would be hard enough let alone in mud and slippery surfaces. Just my $.02

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Doug's KX500 is the first bike he's owned that he has kept for more than 2 years.
Pros: Stick an auto clutch on it, find 3rd gear and conquer anything except super tight switchbacks on steep terrain. (It's long in turning). You will never wear out the motor because you will almost never come up to it's limits. At 65+ hp, you'd be crazy to. It's easy to ride, don't be afraid of the power, just short shift the girl and never let it get above 6000 rpm if you want to stay out of danger (and excitement!!!) Super plush and stable
Cons: It vibrates so bad I can't stay on for more than 30 minutes. How Doug does it for hours on end with barely a stop, I don't know. Do some leg exercises. At 500cc's that is like kickstarting 2 and 1/2 KDX200's. When hot, or tired or injured you are going to say a little prayer to the kickstart gods for a clean 1 kick start. Fortunately, a well jetted KX500 is easy to start. Don't idle too well, but it starts well. With a combination of hot, tired or injured; you will be crying, not starting a KX500. No kickstand. 19" rear wheel stock.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I remember riding a Yamaha TT500 when I was a teen. A SUPER HEAVY BIKE, but MAN THE BALLS IT HAD. I remember tapping the throttle and it was like having a rocket shoved up my ass. FUN- FUN- FUNNNNNNNNNN :prayer:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr