Anybody see this? Brand new KDX.

Got questions? We got answers....
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

Someone obviously screwed up the spec page. It's a kdx engine, carb, six speed and all. I'm thinkin for the price it should come with the big tank, suspension custom valved to the buyer, and a spare KTM200.
ldspowersports
Supporting Member

Post by ldspowersports »

>|<>QBB<
kawabunga wrote:The specs read about like any U.J.M. {universal japenese moto-crosser}.
In this case a 125 with some kind of modified jug they don't talk about.
All for 12500 before adding options.
It also has a 5 speed transmission. {Close-ratio motocross unit?}No options are mentioned.
In sum- KDX with a real narrow buyer demographic.
Narrow as in a handful!! I can't imagine anyone would spend that kind of money on one considering you could go buy a complete KDX and KX125 for less than half of that!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

And it is the same price as the KX500AFX
SAPPER

Post by SAPPER »

guys what they do is basically order everything bolt by bolt to make the AF conversions and they also make their own frame carriage for them so when it actually all adds up it comes out to $12,500. plus it comes with the pipe of your liking and whatever color radiator hoses you want.
real men measure with inches not centimeters

kx125 mine
kx250 dads
kx65 sisters
lt-z250 moms
Terrence Sprocket

Post by Terrence Sprocket »

Sounds like my kind of bike, well, except for the close ratio 5 speed tranny. You would think they would give u some more custom options for that price. Like, choice between close/wide ratio tranny ( which the kX500 has), suspension settings ( straight rate, or progressive springs, valving,etc), and why not a 18" rear rim option? Weird ehh? Also, case guards on the frame would be a nice option. For that price, you should have the choice of any color. Well, personally, I like the green. :wink:
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Pretty sure the 5 speed tranny is a cut/paste mistake. If you look in the specs it shows the 6 speed transmisison.
Terrence Sprocket

Yea I noticed that too. I think there's is a few mistakes in that article. Did anyone else notice the the specs said "KX250af"? Those same specs said it had a 6 speed tranny. But the kx250af has a five speed tranny, doesn't it?
KDX ALL THE WAY!
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

>|<>QBB<
SAPPER wrote:guys what they do is basically order everything bolt by bolt to make the AF conversions and they also make their own frame carriage for them so when it actually all adds up it comes out to $12,500. plus it comes with the pipe of your liking and whatever color radiator hoses you want.
That's BS. It doesn't cost $12,500 for a Y peice and mounts to be welded up. Even if they bought new OEM everything, it would only be around $2000-$5000(If that), and all that would be is cosmetics/brakes/suspension bits. if you want a new 200cc two stroke, buy a KTM or build your own. For $12,500, you could buy a 1000cc sport bike..
Terrence Sprocket

Yea, u could prob order each part yourself and build your own brand new KDX200af for a fraction of the price. Not to mention, then u could choose your own suspension, bars, rims, etc...
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
factoryX wrote:>|<>QBB<
SAPPER wrote:guys what they do is basically order everything bolt by bolt to make the AF conversions and they also make their own frame carriage for them so when it actually all adds up it comes out to $12,500. plus it comes with the pipe of your liking and whatever color radiator hoses you want.
That's BS. It doesn't cost $12,500 for a Y peice and mounts to be welded up. Even if they bought new OEM everything, it would only be around $2000-$5000(If that), and all that would be is cosmetics/brakes/suspension bits. if you want a new 200cc two stroke, buy a KTM or build your own. For $12,500, you could buy a 1000cc sport bike..

Order a KDX200 engine from an OEM parts place one piece at a time. And I mean, every bolt, nut, gasket, and piece of aluminum. See what it prices out to. The do the same for a 2011/12 kx250f, everything BUT the engine. See what that comes up to. I gaurantee you they are not making a killing on these things. I'm much too lazy to do the math, but this isn't the same as buying up a couple used bikes and buliding a hybrid. These are hand assembled with every part and every bolt brandy new.

Since you can't purchase a BRAND NEW kdx200 to build a hybrid with, as close as you could come would be buying a brand new 2012 KX250f, and then buying the KDX motor one piece at a time. I bet even after selling the leftover bits from the KX you still don't come out much ahead.

Yes, the price is high. Is it worth it? Well, if you've got 12.5 laying around that doesn't mean more to you than a brand new one of a kind KDX200, then sure. Not for me, unfortunately.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

+1

I don't think you could even just buy the parts for 12.5 and then you still have to put it together.
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

The motor don't look new for sure

'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

I'm just glad someone is building them. IF I had that type of money laying around (if you have to finance it, you can't afford it) and no mechanical ability, sure I "might" buy one. I don't. So I'll continue my cr/kdx hybrid and be happy. And I will keep my eye out for a kxf roller in the future, now that I know where I can get a nice pipe (the hardest part of some conversions) from.

And you never know, MAYBE, someone from Kawasaki sees what they're doing and sees they's a market need no one is filling. Kawasaki could produce that bike for much less. They already have most of the parts designed and paid for............................... One can only hope.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|QBB<[/url]
kdxquebec wrote:The motor don't look new for sure

How do you come to that conclusion from that pic?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The motor don't look new for sure
How do you come to that conclusion from that pic?
I agree. Look at the staining around the Sn boss and below the carb. Can anyone make out the motor number?

Is that the tranny vent not hooked up? No big deal, of course.

I would not be surprised if that motor was still in production by Kawasaki for use in other parts of the world on small streetbikes/scooters.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I would imagine that the bike that they built to take pics for the website and get the advertisements out is a unit they built for internal testing/use and pictures and advertising. It's probably been worked in pretty good :). When you place an order with Service Honda / Kawasaki, they build the bike to your specs after receiving the order. You can be sure they don't have several of these sitting in stock.