kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:.

the XR feel of the 220...
:shock:

You kids out there, GET AN EDUCATION, don't listen to people who are pimping a particular model of bike, and learn to set up the bike you have to do what you want it to.

BTW, even though I was pretty dusty even back then in the year of our Lord 2000 AD, I rode my first KDX220 to a 3rd place in class in the Virginia City GP. It grunted pretty good around a lot of other bikes in relatively wide-open desert terrain. LOL, a 220 can flat move with just a pipe and reeds. And I rode like poop that day too, IMO. :oops:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

oops
Last edited by marrk_us on 05:50 pm Feb 16 2012, edited 1 time in total.
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:.

the XR feel of the 220...
:shock:

You kids out there, GET AN EDUCATION,

I know you mean no harm Juliend but if you keep talking about us 220 owners having "short shifters" feelings could get hurt :oops: And if your "EDUCATION" lasts for more than 4 hours.....................
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I believe I have stated several times that both bikes have thier purpose, and one engine might suit you better than the other depending on where, and more importantly, HOW you ride. It would seem I'm not the one needing an education. My ability to interpret the english language is actually quite good.

If I hurt your feelings by comparing the power delivery of a 220 to a 4t trail bike, forgive me. That doesn't change the fact that it's true. It's not a bad thing, the 220 just has very smooth and linear power delivery, similar to a 4t.
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

Yeah, Yeah, but everybody knows if you want to win you got to get a punkin!

For me its:

1. 200's
2. Amsoil Interceptor
3. Boobs, Bums, and anything they are directly or indirectly connected to or touching. (I know, I know, the touching part can get a little weird. That's what I like about it.LOL) :supz:
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
Twysted

Post by Twysted »

OMG, you guys are cracking me up with this stuff.....anyways, First of all as far as boobs and bums go believe it or not they did a survey on this and a good bum was rated over boobs....just a fact. So I bought the 200, I raced motocross and ride a little more wide open than finnessing the throttle so I thought that this would make a better choice for me. I will however take any info on how to make this thing scream like a KX and don't tell me I should have bought a KX.....I didn't. I would post a pic of it on here but can't figure that out. Sorry. It is extremely clean and has worx connection guards with FMF pipe and silencer. I did talk to a guy today that has a 03 Yamaha YZ250F complete front end with triple clamps and pro Action suspension set up to my weight, caliper, wheel and all for $300.00 but didn't know if could be modified to fit. I do not know if it has reeds in it or not, they may still be stock. I have only had it for 2 days and haven't had a chance to tear into it or even ride it yet. Excited to get my hands on it though and looking forward to my first KDX experience! :lol:
Live life as it's your last day! Never hold back!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The first thing I would do is grab a shop manual. Tear the top end down and inspect and clean everything, paying close attention to the kips. If the piston is worn, it's a good time to replace it. If not, you can re-use it. After you're sure everything is good, a front end swap would be a good start. I lean toward sorting the suspension and chassis before modding anything on the engine.

As far as performance, the FMF pipe is probably fine. You need to figure out which it is though, Woods or Desert. Boyesen 607 reeds are cheap and easy to put in. Ditch the airlid if it's there and then jet it correctly. RB can do some awesome stuff with the head and carb if you need more.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Twysted,

My KDX200 uses 04 WR250f triples - the 03 YZF is going to be the same - I had to knurl the KDX stem to get it to press fit - just like a lot of guys have to do with some KX triples. I widened the steering stop by welding a piece to it -
The KDX caliper works if you just use the yamaha caliper mount bracket. That sounds like a great deal! :partyman:

The yamaha triples move the bar further forward than the kdx triple, which makes the bike handle soooo much better, IMO.

Use some fatbar adapters to get the bar high enough to clear the longer forks - you'll probably find the higher bar position works better too - I'm 5'10' and it made the bike feel like my newer bikes - much more comfortable to ride upright, stand and move around.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.