What's your thoughts on this one?

Got questions? We got answers....
Twysted

What's your thoughts on this one?

Post by Twysted »

I am looking to buy a 98 KDX200. The bike has KX front and rear fenders, it has a FMF pipe and silencer on it. Very clean bike but ti seems to be smoking a little. It started and I let it run for a couple of minutes then I tried to ride it around the yard and after it smoothed out it died. Like it was out of gas. Now it is about 8 degrees and I know that's cold out but why would it run good then stop? It has plenty of gas but he said another guy rode it and he didn't let it warm up very long and it quit on him too. Since it was only 8 degrees out I wasn't standing around trying to find out what it was. New to the woods bike and not totally familair with them, I have owend yz, cr, rm, And KX's but I don't know much about the KDX. Like I said it is a 98 very clean and I am sure I can get it for $900.00. Think it;s a good deal even if I have to throw a piston and rings in it that will only take me one evening. Please give me some feed back because I am leaning toward the KDX after all I have read about on here and other refrences or the KTM200. I know I can fix the bike, pretty good at it just wanted to ask if this was a common bug with the KDX. Thanks, Twysted......If I get it I will be sure to post picks of my new toy!
Live life as it's your last day! Never hold back!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Have you ever ridden a 2 stroke?

Perhaps you did not get it cleaned out and it fouled the plug
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Twysted

Post by Twysted »

I started racing when I was 10, yes I have probably owned 20+ 2 strokes and it was definately cleaned out before I took off. That is the reason for the question in general.
Live life as it's your last day! Never hold back!
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

As far as the smoking goes, they call them "two smokes" for a reason lol.

Mine likes to be very well warmed up before I ride it, I just wait until the radiators have some heat in them. This issue could just be a tuning thing but you won't know until you find out the jetting/pilot sizes. IF it was jetted properly for summer riding, it will be plenty rich in single digit temps.

If its clean, grab it (or tell me where it is and I will...). Coming off of a yz/rm/kx, you will feel like you're on a four stroke on one of these. They are great bikes.

Btw, I'm out in Hebron, so if you have any questions before or after give me a holler. I have a 97 with kx forks (do that next....) and a kx/kdx I'm just wrapping up, so I'm fairly intimate with these things now.

Good luck

Pete
rsr02
Supporting Member

Post by rsr02 »

>|<>QBB<
Rjcapt wrote:IF it was jetted properly for summer riding, it will be plenty rich in single digit temps.
I believe you have that backwards. The colder air is denser, so you need more fuel then in the summer.
1997 220, KLX forks-pipe-reeds-trials tire
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Ditto,
Hot = Rich
Cold = Lean
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I would guess something with the jetting as well. Maybe a plugged pilot?
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

Thanks guys. Yes, it would most likely be lean due to the temp change. That's what I get for not proofreading my post adequately...

Pete
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah when I read this yesterday my first thought was that it leaned out. Hopefully no damage was done.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'd throw a new plug in it before I did anything
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS