Messed up my rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
dgraver

Post by dgraver »

Well thanks for the positive. Still makes me disgusted to think about all the time and money..

You guys think that cylinder is repairable? And also the head is dinged up pretty good.. Cylinder to langcourt and head back to rb you think?

And yes I have watched the videos already (rocky mountain is the s**t!) Figured it as inevitable :(
dgraver

Post by dgraver »

Positive words*
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Have not seen the head to know if it's fixable. If you send a pic to Ron he will tell you whether or not he can repair it.

The cylinder is certainly fixable. Langcourt will do a fine job with it.
Redrum
Supporting Member

Messed up my rebuild

Post by Redrum »

Juliend.. When you say the cylinder is fixable, does that mean bore or sleeve?
Dgraver... What was your outcome?
------------------------------------------------
88 kdx 200
85 atc 250x
86 vf 500
08 cbr 125r
79 ke 175
97 sportster 885
86 virago 535
79 yz 125
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Messed up my rebuild

Post by SS109 »

Redrum wrote:Juliend.. When you say the cylinder is fixable, does that mean bore or sleeve?
I can answer that for you. It is neither bore nor sleeve. You send the cylinder off to someone like Millennium or Langcourt and they will fix the damage and replate it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

MadMax wrote:Go to http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com and watch the case splitting videos. Get the tusk case splitter. Go ahead and get the tusk crank installation tool and have at it. It's really not that bad. Not nearly as bad as sending the cylinder back to Langcourt.... Ouch.

That video is pretty good, but the guy does one thing that is dangerous...he heats the case with a torch before dropping in the frozen crank bearing. The problem with that is with KDX's you have to put the case seal in first, and if any part of the torch flame touches the seal, it ruins it. The better method is to put the case half in the oven and let it heat to a few hundred degrees - the seal can handle that no problemo.

And regarding the Tusk crank installation tool, it only works on the mag side, the crank threads are too large for the tool, or better said, the tool isn't designed for the KDX crank drive end. It may still be worth the money, but I think just using heat and cold is the better way (BTW, I have the Tusk crank installer).
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.