'04 200 Rebuild Help

Got questions? We got answers....
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

'04 200 Rebuild Help

Post by B737driver »

Well I finally bit the bullet and I'm going through the bike for the first time. I purchased it new in Dec. of 2003. It's been an amazing bike that I have just recently been able to ride as much as I like. I am in tear-down mode at this point and have already had questions that have been answered by our own "panel of experts". I appreciate all of the input and expert advice. As I've said before I do not want to be the guy on here saying "don't do what I did". I'm trying to get it right the first time.

Here is what "she" (it just sounds a little harsh) looked like before. First time trying pics, so I hope it works.

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 26d026.jpg

And here is what she looks like now

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 9a9718.jpg

[img]
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

I would never have imagined that there were problems going on inside the engine (was running great) but I am really glad I pulled the cylinder to do a top end.

Cylinder
http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... a41474.jpg

Piston
http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 4b5d58.jpg

Before you cringe too much note that you can barely detect the scarring on the cylinder wall with your fingernail. It looks a lot worse than it is....I hope.
This will be sent to millennium tech. for a replate. For those who do not know you cannot bore or hone the cylinder. It must be either replated or sleeved. There is much discussion over this, I choose to replate.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

Thats almost too nice to tear apart.

Mine are always someone else's basket case.....
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

I just bought a set of '01 KX125 forks and triple clamps. I will be sending them as well as the carburetor, front axle, and head to RB for the mods.

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 10c684.jpg

The forks will be sent to SMS Racing for new seals and set up for my weight and riding style. Hear nothing but good things about their work (other than they are an orange bike dealer ;)

That's all I've got for now. Most of my questions for now have been answered on other threads, but....stay tuned.

Thx,
Don
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

>|<>QBB<
Rjcapt wrote:Thats almost too nice to tear apart.

Mine are always someone else's basket case.....
I've cared for it meticulously on the outside. It has been off the pavement.

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... ilmer1.jpg
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

It does make the process much easier.

Your trail looks entirely too dry....seems where I ride I'm half u-boat captain....

One thought on the cyl/piston. It almost looks like there is some crap getting past your air filter. Pay close attention to your filter seal to the airbox, your airbox connection to your carb and your reed cage to the cyl on reassembly.

Also what type pre mix are you using and at what ratio?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

From the looks of the bike, I don't think it has left the yard since 04. :lol:

I used about the same forks as what you picked up. I found with mine that I had to have the steering stops on the KX lower triple built up a little taller to get a better contact with the frame stop. It might be worth looking at before you get it all put together.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

When I pulled the air filter off, the day after pulling the cylinder, the wing nut was not as tight as it should be. I apply grease liberally to the seal, but I too think some sand got by. Rode in some deep sand and lots of water on my last ride.

I've been running Motul synthetic at 32:1. Lots of spooge. Enough that when i get it really warmed up the silencer continues to smoke after the engine is shut down. It also leaks (spooge) from the exhaust at the pipe connection. Don't know if it's a jetting issue or ratio issue, but I was surprised to see as much premix under the piston as well.

Planning on using the drano technique on the pipe to clean it out before reassembly.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:From the looks of the bike, I don't think it has left the yard since 04. :lol:

I used about the same forks as what you picked up. I found with mine that I had to have the steering stops on the KX lower triple built up a little taller to get a better contact with the frame stop. It might be worth looking at before you get it all put together.
Definitely. I'll will look into that. How much did you have to add to get good contact. Any issues with yours getting into the tank at full deflection? Read something about this somewhere and was considering adding a little to the front of the stops as well. Hate to loose that steering authority though.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

When I put my 03 forks on mine, I made a "C" (or "U") out of 1/4 bar I had lying around. I just straddled the factory stops with that and screwed it in with 2 screws. That gave me the tank clearance I needed. I will probably do something a little more extravagant at some point, but it works.

Spooge.

I don't like it, so I pulled my ratio closer to 40:1. Time will tell if it's a good idea or not, but the excess just clogs up my silencer baffle and insulation. So far I've been happy with the results, probably run a more scientific comparison now that I have 2 identical motors side by side to compare.

I think the excess oil in 32:1 just makes everything messy.

Your burn isn't as complete, so you theoretically lose power
Your chamber gets fouled
The kips gets fouled
Your silencer gets fouled
And I blow a fine mist of premix over everything in the garage when I run it inside....

Kind of like running factory rich "just to be on the safe side".
Ymmv
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

>|<>QBB<
Rjcapt wrote:When I put my 03 forks on mine, I made a "C" (or "U") out of 1/4 bar I had lying around. I just straddled the factory stops with that and screwed it in with 2 screws. That gave me the tank clearance I needed. I will probably do something a little more extravagant at some point, but it works.

Spooge.

I don't like it, so I pulled my ratio closer to 40:1. Time will tell if it's a good idea or not, but the excess just clogs up my silencer baffle and insulation. So far I've been happy with the results, probably run a more scientific comparison now that I have 2 identical motors side by side to compare.

I think the excess oil in 32:1 just makes everything messy.

Your burn isn't as complete, so you theoretically lose power
Your chamber gets fouled
The kips gets fouled
Your silencer gets fouled
And I blow a fine mist of premix over everything in the garage when I run it inside....

Kind of like running factory rich "just to be on the safe side".
Ymmv

Spooge.

I didn't realize I hated it so much until I pulled the kips out. Kinda like sitting a chocolate bar on the glareshield for a few hours in the sun, then opening it up to see what's inside. Nasty stuff. Time to invest in a parts washer. Gets old spraying and scrubbing.

Will try a little leaner after I get the carb back.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
B737driver wrote:>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:From the looks of the bike, I don't think it has left the yard since 04. :lol:

Definitely. I'll will look into that. How much did you have to add to get good contact. Any issues with yours getting into the tank at full deflection? Read something about this somewhere and was considering adding a little to the front of the stops as well. Hate to loose that steering authority though.
When I assembled mine the first time the top of the triple clamp stop was just flush with the top of the frame stop. I built the triple stops up about 1/8" just so it wasn't hitting just on the edges. Nothing to limit the steering range.

As far as tank clearance mine was fine. I mounted the stock headlight with some aftermarket (UFO?) rubber straps on the bottom and the KDX upper mounts flipped from side to side and the right rubber strap will touch the mounting bolt for the radiator. Not enough to be concerned with and if I play with the position of the strap I can get it to clear.

It seems like there was a little variation from bike to bike as far as what you will have to do for tank clearance and so on so you'll need to do a little trial and error to get yours right.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

rbates9 wrote:>|<>QBB<
B737driver wrote:>|<>QBB<

When I assembled mine the first time the top of the triple clamp stop was just flush with the top of the frame stop. I built the triple stops up about 1/8" just so it wasn't hitting just on the edges. Nothing to limit the steering range.

As far as tank clearance mine was fine. I mounted the stock headlight with some aftermarket (UFO?) rubber straps on the bottom and the KDX upper mounts flipped from side to side and the right rubber strap will touch the mounting bolt for the radiator. Not enough to be concerned with and if I play with the position of the strap I can get it to clear.

It seems like there was a little variation from bike to bike as far as what you will have to do for tank clearance and so on so you'll need to do a little trial and error to get yours right.
Great Info. I was wondering how I was going to attach the original headlight. I've considered getting a MX number plate to run at times. Anybody got info on how they sealed off the wiring without cutting wires or pulling them out all together? Duct tape and a zip-loc come to mind.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Alright. New question.

I am looking at top end rebuild kits. Wiseco shows the stock size at 66.00mm, which is what the technical specs show. ProX shows stock size at 65.95mm. I'm no machinist, but .05 difference what gives?
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

That's 0.0019". Easily within tolerances. But I'm not sure why they size them that way. I do know pro-x makes a 66mm piston though.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

>|<>QBB<
Rjcapt wrote:That's 0.0019". Easily within tolerances. But I'm not sure why they size them that way. I do know pro-x makes a 66mm piston though.
Very true. When I see the difference in inches, yeah it's like splitting hairs. I still can't find the pro-x at 66mm though.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

I think I found one listed on eBay. I can't swear to it though....
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Thanks to all that kept me from avoiding the pitfalls of a rebuild. Here is my 2004 KDX 200

RB Head Mod
RB Carb mod
V-Force III Reeds
2001 KX 125 Front Forks
New top end (Pro-X)
Cylinder re-plate (Millenium Technologies)
2003 KX Front fender
Headlight assembly from China (same as KLX 450R)
Front and Rear brakes
and other stuff
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
bart

Post by bart »

Very nice! I will be using this thread when I decide to tear down my KDX.

BTW are you an airline/test pilot?
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Thanks. I fly for Southwest Airlines. There is a wealth of info. on this forum to get you through a rebuild. It's pretty straight-forward. Plan and research before you grab any tools would be my recommendation.

Don
Live to Fly
Fly to Live