The right price for a 220

Got questions? We got answers....
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

The right price for a 220

Post by 4Rider »

I found a 2002 KDX220 in my area. The seller is the original owner. He has added a FMF exhaust system (chamber and silencer) and renthal bars. I do not know which FMF pipe he put on. The bike appears to be in good condition judging by a couple of photos only. It looks stock except for the parts listed above. I don't know much else and won't until I go out to look at the bike. I have no idea whether or not he has replaced the stock piston, or done any other work.

As '02 is the last year for green-sticker 2-strokes in California, I won't be looking at anything newer in any case.

Any input on a reasonable price for this bike? I will be driving an hour or so to go and look at it, and if it looks good (and the kid likes it!) I may try to buy it on the spot. No sense driving 4 hours instead of 2.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
'02 KDX 220, '06 KTM 525 EXC Dualsport (CA Plated) '00 KTM 640 Adventure R (for sale), '04 KTM 400 EXC, '96 Honda XR400R Dualsport (CA Plated), Were not lost, we're right here......
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Some things to look for on a used KDX220:
1. Is the piston stock? A small amount of them have the skirt break off and destroy the motor. It is advisable to swap out the piston. It's an inexpesive job; about $100 but keep in mind when negoiating.
2. Check the bearings: With the bike on a stand, stand from behind and grab the tire, moving it up and down as well as left/right. Any slop up/down is shock bearings and side movement is swingarm bearings. Not a tough job or expensive to do, just more info for you. Kawasaki was stingy on the grease and thses points wore quickly if not regreased early.
3. Check for shock and fork leaks,
4. Inspect the air filter. The seat will need to be removed but do it. Look for a well serviced filter with no rips or tears. Dirt is death to an internal combustion engine.
5. check chain and sprocket wear. $150+ for a decent replacement set
6. check for boot rub wear on the frame by the rider's left foot. Heavy wear indicates high milage.
7. Check tire condition. Tire set is about $100 if you mount yourself.
8. Check cables for binding or kinks.
9. Check seat for tears and grips for condition. Again, not expensive but it all adds up.
10. Ride the bike. See how easy it is to start, warm up, how smooth the clutch is, how stiff the clutch lever is to pull, braking action, steering control and high speed wobbles.
11. Be sure to bring cash. Everyone discounts when they start seeing $100 bills being counted out.
12. Have him throw in extras: tiedown straps, oil, gas cans, riding gear, etc. Again, all that stuff adds up if you buy it afterwards.

Great decision to snag up the 2002 model. From 1997 (first year the 220 was made) until this year, the last year they were made, the only changes were cosmetics. Lots of spare parts out there for you.

Good Luck and let us know how it turned out.

Jerry
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I bought my 03' KDX 220 the first of this year. I gave 2900.00 for it but it only had 16 miles on it and was bone stock. It also looked like it rolled off the show room floor also. So I don't know if that would help you or not. I thought I got a pretty good deal on mine. I'm guessing just from what you've decribed I would'nt go over 2300.00 myself if that. It all depends on condition. It's hard to tell without a picture of the bike. I'd do all the things Ski proposed also. Thats a good list. I myself do not think after market stuff counts for a whole lot unless it's brand new just put on. Other than that it's still used stuff stock or aftermarket.

Jon.
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

Jerry,

Thanks for the list of things to check out. I printed out a copy of your message and will take it with me. I seem to buy a couple of bikes a year so I am not a total sucker, but each model seems to have some unique issues to check out and getting some input helps.

Thanks for the price info Jon. I'll post something if I pick it up. There is also a '99 200 I may try to check out. One of the mods on that bike is a "Heavy Flywheel". I am assuming that is intended to smooth out the powerband and to help prevent stalling. Anyone have any input on that mod?

Mark
'02 KDX 220, '06 KTM 525 EXC Dualsport (CA Plated) '00 KTM 640 Adventure R (for sale), '04 KTM 400 EXC, '96 Honda XR400R Dualsport (CA Plated), Were not lost, we're right here......
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would say $2,200 - $2,300 is what I see them go for on eBay. Without seeing it, that is what I would be looking at on that bike.

A flywheel weight is to make things smoother and more luggable. They are a great mod on a MX bike, but I hear of few people using them on a KDX. It would help prevent stalling. I think they are around $100-ish. I think Steahly is one company that makes them.

Keep in mind that a 200 cost less than a 220 new, so that might factor into what any original owner may think his bike is worth.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

Jason,

A late model 200 or 220 in good condition seem to be listed for $2500 to $2700, and selling for about $2300 to $2500 out here. I have a friend who is a dealer, and he has been watching the Powersport Auctions for a KDX for a couple of months, but none have come through. Today a '01 klx 300 in good condition went for $2700 at the auction. CRF250Xs are going for over book (about $3700 at auction), as are the KTM 250 EXCs.

I have not seen any late model KDXs from the Southwest region listed on Ebay. If one was any further away than a one-day drive shipping or transporting costs eat up a lot of $. I guess if I found one in the right area I could make it a road trip for a few days of riding and write the cost off to vacation expense!

Thanks for the input.

Mark
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

4Rider if that one falls thru take a look at this one?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/classifieds/ ... t=2&page=2

He doesn't say he will ship but that might just be because he hasn't had the right offer yet?

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

There's a KDX for sale on the AMA district 36 board. I know the fella and he's a good guy, lives about 20 miles from me. Here's the link:

http://www.ama-d36.org/cgi-bin/cutecast ... hread=2358

He's had it listed for some time so I'm pretty sure he will come down on the price if he still has it. I do know it has LOTS of extra add-ons but I'm not sure exactly what.

The bike is near Placerville; half way between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. From Interstate 5 and Magic Mountain, it's about a 5.5 hour drive. I'd be happy to help you out if you decide to come up to look at it. Maybe check it over before you drive up or something.

Jerry
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

2002 KDX220R Prices

Post by Mark W »

I bought my 2002 KDX220R last year (April 2004) for $2200. Bike was absolutely perfect and had only been ridden by a farmer a couple of times to check his crop rows (he bought it in the summer of 2003). Guy was asking $2900 and before I drove down a coule our hours to take a look I asked him what he would be willing to drop to. Without hesitation he went to $2200. I didn't feel right trying to get him to come down a little more. Bike is bone stock.

I was lucky in that the farmersw ife made him get rid of it and check the crop rows with a 4-wheeler instead.

Mark W
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

Jason,

Thanks for the referral on the 200 up your way. I just emailed him.

The 220 I mentioned earlier is billed as being virtually brand-new. We are going to look it over and test ride it Sunday afternoon.

Mark- sounds like you got the killer deal.

Thanks guys-

Mark
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Well, actually, it was m0rie and skipro3 with the referrals.

Enough about that, let us know how it turned out! :grin:
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

The '02 220 I looked at today was pretty clean, looks to have had little use, but was still overpriced. The only damage I could find was that the silencer appeared to be bent in towards the middle of the sub-frame about an inch. Not far enough to interfere with the tire or suspension, but enough to notice. The bottom of the main frame was still bright green, and the engine cases were shinny and had no corrosion at all. The guy obviosly thought I was going to give him the full asking price. NOT.....

Still looking.

Mark
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What WAS the asking price?? At least you are out and looking at one, so you are better educated for the next time on more specific KDX qualities.
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

He is asking $2700. Even though the bike is in very good condition, I think that is just too high.

One trade off to the high asking price is the proximity of this bike. No shipping or long drive required. I've been trying to check into shipping cost as several guys have given me links to KDX's that are not close to home. Shipping will quickly add at least several hundred dollars, and as much as $500 to the purchase price if I have to have it crated and trucked.

One referral was for a bike located west of lake tahoe in Placerville. At almost $2.80 a gallon, fuel for a round trip run up there would run a couple of hundred bucks (unless I drive my F-350, then it would be $300 easy) and would take at least two days of driving. Skipro3 (Jerry) offered assistance, so maybe I should go get the bike then go to Tahoe for a few days of guided trail riding..........

Mark
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That would definately be a bonus there Mark! :wink:

Just make sure you take a camera with ya... I wanna see some of Ski's action shots! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the information. From what I have seen, shipping is at least $300. Unless it was an excellent condition bike that was of a certain make and very specific year model, I can't see getting a bike shipped to you. You are just wanting a "good condition 2002 or older KDX", so if I were you, I would just wait for one to show up in the local newspapers, sales papers, etc. Getting to look at it in person, crank it and test ride it is worth something.

Good luck in your search.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hey Mark,
Come up to get the bike on Wednesday, Thursday Aug 31st or Sept1 and on Sept 2nd I'm going up to ride with CanynCarvr (CC) and Wibby (I think) and m0rie too!!!!!

We can throw your new KDX onto the trailer and head up Friday eary in the morning. It's about a 6 hour drive so we should be there be noon, ride, set up camp and ride the next day or maybe even two!!!

Let me know. It would be a blast!!!!

Riding around here is o.k. right now, but dusty!!!
We can ride around here, just not Labor Day weekend; up to Prospect Peak with Carvr and the gang.

If you want me to do anything, take photos to e-mail or post or what ever, no problem. Just let me know.

Besides you would then be the first to see the KX woods bike I'm building up right now. (I'm putting photos in my gallery right now in a sub album called KX woods bike)

Here's a preview:
Jerry

4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

Dusty? Nothing in Tahoe could be as dusty as anything down here or in the Owens Valley!

We are headed to the Mammoth area next Wednesday (17th), and will be there through the 27th or 28th. I was trying to find a bike before we head up, but if I don't, no problemo as the boy still has his TTR. We will be riding a lot of the forest service roads in the Inyo Forest on the east side of 395. Most of the roads are pretty tame, but there are some jeep trails open to OHVs that we will try to hit. I've been told there is some "Secret" single-track riding in the area, but I haven't found the right local to bribe to get the scoop on where the trails are. There is also a way to ride from the mammoth airport all the way up to and completely around Mono Lake. There is gas in Lee Vining (usually) if that becomes an issue. There are also a lot of open roads and trails east of Tom's Place (south Lake Crowley) if we run out of trails up by mammoth.

I'll be there with the whole family, and probably some of the knuckleheads I work and ride with will show up as well. If anybody is going to be in the area let me know. Ping we with an email and I'll give you directions or a cell phone contact number. All of the forest roads and trails in the area are open to green sticker vehicles.

The best time to come up (or down I guess. Actually maybe across applies as well!) would be from the 18th through the 24th. From the 25th through the weekend a couple of the guys I work with and I volunteering to provide medical support for a large organized Dual-Sport Rally put on by Jim Hyde of Rawhyde Adventures. He is basing the event at a campground east of the "Green Church" a few miles south of the mammoth lakes turnoff. Most of the guys at the Rawhyde Rallys are riding BMW GSs, 650 KLRs, KTM 950 or 640 Adventures. If you haven't watched some old warrior riding 2-up on a 600# GS thrash his way up a rocky jeep trail you don't know what you are missing.

Thanks for the offer, but I won't be able to make it area during the 31st-2nd time frame. That's the first week of school for the grommets and I'm on duty that week (the 12-year old needing a bike is the reason I found this site to start with!). Rain check?

I heard from Josh about his 200. I had already made an offer on a 220 down here, but I'm still waiting to hear back from the the guy. If that falls through I may have to consider the marathon drive to Josh's.

As usual, one question: What frame guard/skid plate do you recommend?

Mark
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

First is last:
On my KDX I have a skid plate that was made from a guy in Canada. All aluminum and nice welds. Of course that doesn't help you at all. On the new KX250 I got a Devol. It is an excellent skid plate that covers the water pump quite nicely and that's what you need on the Kawasaki's. They hang that water pump out there, just begging to get knocked off by a large rock. Also, check with Utah Sport Cycle. They advertise in the back of Dirt Rider magazine. http://www.utahsportcycle.com

You can raincheck anytime. Let me know when you have an itch to ride up here or hook up to head up to Oregon (I'll drive from here so you only have to drive up to my place.) and I'll line something up. Lots of great enduros up here if you are into that sort of thing. The family enduros are also good. In fact I prefer them to the full enduros because it's for the kids and the pressure is off as a point scoring event for adults.

I'll have to check my calender for the 18 through the 24, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in San Diego to visit my first ever grandson!!! But thanks for the invite. Provide a ride report to us when you get back. From what I've read on adventurerider, you are a pretty good story teller.

Good luck finding a good ride for the boy and let us know how that turns out too.

Last edited by skipro3 on 10:33 am Aug 10 2005, edited 3 times in total.
Jerry

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Mark, don't count this guy out yet. Some guys sell this way. I don't know what kind of time frame you have but I would'nt give up on him yet. Give him a week and see if he still has it, but don't tell him you've already seen it. Play dirty, get some friends to call him up and tell him he's way over priced. Let them shoot some prices at him that are close to what you are willing to give him. Lifes not fair, and does'nt pay to be nice either, you gotta play dirty if you want to get what you want. :twisted: As far as I know there is'nt any laws against doing this, it's just immoral, but not dealing is also immoral in my book. Did he just list it? If so, he probably won't come down on his price yet. It's all about timing. I used to do alot of dealing with guys for Classic muscle car parts, they are the shrewdist as far as prices go and you have to be crafty with them. Sometimes though they just won't budge. But by all means don't give up on this guy yet, he's surley got a breaking point. I did'nt see that you offered anything. Did you? Not having seen the bike just by your discriptions it sounds like a good bike. Tailpipes can be replaced if needed. I have a brand new stock one if you need it. I have the stock pipe also. It's for a 2003 KDX 220 but I think they may interchange. If it works out you end up with the bike, and need both or one of the parts let me know. I don't mind helping out a fellow KDX'r. As far as prices go, an '02 KDX in good shape would at least be worth around 2000 to 2300 dollars. Maybe 2500, but it'd have to be real nice. A new '06 goes for 4500 dollars now. Remember, play dirty, nice guys finish last. :twisted: :twisted:

Jon.