The right price for a 220

Got questions? We got answers....
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

Hey Jon,

Sounds like you are a brother grinder when it comes to buying things. I am a great believer in showing the cash to sellers. Nothing seems to be as motivating as a great big stack of green cash money. I've gone through a lot of bikes buying and selling as the kids have grown (XR50's, XR70. XR80, TTR125, TTR125L, XR250R, YZ250, XR400R) and usually do OK. THe only bike I got hosed on was the XR80. Nobody wanted an XR80 once the TTR125 came out.

This particular seller is pretty tough. He has a lot of bikes with several for sale, and doesn't seem to be too motivated. The bike has been listed for a while and he hasn't dropped the price. I've had a couple of guys call him and he stands firm at his asking price. The bike looks very clean. I checked everything I could think of, including all of the things on Jerry's list. The only issues I could find is the slight bend to the tailpipe and a 1/4" tear in the seat cover. The bottom of the frame is bright green (not repainted) so it has not been used in rock gardens or such. The stock bars were replaced with Renthals, and it has a straight (no dents) Gnarly pipe (thick-wall model). Unfortunately, I think the seller knows what he has and what it is worth.

My real problem will be when the older kid wants to dump his XR400R for a KDX and I have to find another one in similar condition. If the KDX is as good as all of you guys describe, that is probably inevitable. Maybe that one up in Gold Country. Of course, then I can reclaim the XR and stop horsing the 640 Adventure around all the trails............

I've got a cash buyer wanting to buy the kid's TTR-125L ASAP, so I have some motivation to find a replacement sooner rather than later.

Mark
'02 KDX 220, '06 KTM 525 EXC Dualsport (CA Plated) '00 KTM 640 Adventure R (for sale), '04 KTM 400 EXC, '96 Honda XR400R Dualsport (CA Plated), Were not lost, we're right here......
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I just sold my oldests TTR-125L about two weeks ago. Those bikes are hot around here. You almosty don't have to list them in the paper. Just let someone know theyre for sale and it won't take long.

I'm pretty shrued when it comes to buying and selling. If I see something I want, I go for it. But I understand about the ones like this guy with the KDX. I've ran into those before also. Sometimes with those guys, all you can do is walk away. It sounds like you gave it a good try. To bad. He'll get someone with more money than brains and sell it, thats what he's counting on. I personaly think he's too high also, but thats hind sight now. From what you've just stated, it would be better you go on down the road. You'll find one, theres planty out there. You sound like your pretty educated on this stuf so I'll shut up now. :lol:

Did you see the one on E-bay thats had the front end converted over to KX forks already? Some one posted the link in the parts section. It's back here in the midwest, but might be worth looking into. Yeh , you'll have to deal with shipping, that sucks. But it looks like a decent bike.

Jon.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Theres also a Fredette 225 on there for less than $2k from memory, maybe a bit too much bike for a smaller lad.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."