Non-Ethanol 87 or Ethanol Based 91?

Got questions? We got answers....
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Non-Ethanol 87 or Ethanol Based 91?

Post by Velocity_Stack »

Yeah, I know ya'll have discussed the ethanol thing already, but I'm on a non-ethanol kick since I found a couple of places local that offer it.

I really feel that ethanol based fuel is causing me all the headaches with my daughters XR70 - which does not get started but about every 2 months or so and I have to pull the carb and clean the pilot jet.

I'm going to move to 87 pure gas for that reason and also I like to store 25 gallons at a time in the caddy for emergency situations.

My KDX sits about the same duration, but has absolutely no carb issues.

What would you do in the KDX situation? Is 87 pure gas safe?

I've talked to a few a work that say "the more ethanol base, the less fuel mileage", and one guy said "I filled with E85 and lost a ton of mileage" and that guy said it was because it burns cooler.

Before I get blasted, I would like to add that I have not taken a compression reading on the bike....... so let's just ass_u_me that I'm dealing with a stock compression bike.

All thoughts and comments are welcome.
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

I would go with the non ethanol, every bike that I've ran it in has ran cooler, got better MPG, and better power delivery. I did a test by putting e85/non-e85 91 octane fuel in dixie plastic cups, and results where shocking. The e85 gas did nothing while the non-e85 gas melted the entire cup. :mrgreen: As for longevity, my kdx has sat for more than a month with the gas and starts up just fine.
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

I have been using Av100ll burns clean and has a 2 year shelf life when stored properly
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I would go with the non ethanol as well, as long as you don't have any pinging when running it.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I just sent off a yz250 cylinder to be repaired because the owner ran 87 octane. Do what you want but I've had good luck with Mobile (BP) 93 and Lucas ethanol stabilizer. 1 oz. Lucas per 5 gallons of gas.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

^^Indeed. 87 might not cut it. It will if you boost it with some tolulene.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

i think you have more issues then just gas with your xr70. i left my crf100 for about a month or 2 with 87 in it and it started first kick like always but ran like ****. as soon as i put new gas in it it ran amazing like usual tho.
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

and i blew a motor in my boat bc of all the water content in 87. i run high octane in all my 2strokes. and usually high octane in my 4strokes just to prolong life
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I have the same issue with my sons z50. If it sits more than a couple weeks with ethanol gas in it, have to clean the pilot before it'll run. The z50 is mint, no other issues with it.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I've heard a lot about tolulene as an additive. What is the pros and cons of using it? How much do you use? Is it worth it?
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

>|<>QBB<
hbgod wrote:i think you have more issues then just gas with your xr70. i left my crf100 for about a month or 2 with 87 in it and it started first kick like always but ran like sh!t. as soon as i put new gas in it it ran amazing like usual tho.
Maybe, but like I said, I'm currently running 10% ethanol based gas in everything. New inline fuel filter and all........ have had to pull the carb about 4 times already. Even the new generator is not wanting to run right and I start it about every 3 months.

I know there's no better answer than just making the conversion and finding out for myself, and to be honest, I don't really care about the XR70 and affects of 87 fuel, but I AM concerned about dumping it in the KDX and just wanted to hear what ya'll had to say.

I have always run high octane in the numerous jetskis that I have, so I feel I should follow the same suit with the KDX, but I just wanted to hear some stories and experiences with true 87.

Nothing like more conversation on ethanol based gas. I hear there are mixtures going as high as 20% at some locations. Just good conversation as ratios change IMO.
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

Seafoam additive to every tank in all my bikes. No problems with 10% ethanol so far after several years. Too far for me to drive to get straight gas.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
kawabunga

Post by kawabunga »

The 87 octane regular is the fuel of choice for the xr70 as well as the lions share of most cars on the road today.
While the KDX doesn't have a very high corrected compression ratio,
it does generate high internal pressures and heat. Requiring more octane.
I always buy just enough gas for whatever 2-stroke motor I will be using
at the time i.e bike, saw weedeater etc.
Then Mix oil just before using it. Both are known to deteriorate quickly.
Lubricating qualites substantially after 48 hrs.
If I have any left over ,it goes in the mower.

Always use Sta-Bil in stored gas.
reviving old war-horse.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:I've heard a lot about tolulene as an additive. What is the pros and cons of using it? How much do you use? Is it worth it?

I run it whenever I can afford too. Gives a lot better bottom end and easy starts if the bike has sat for some time

I run it at 5%

no cons unless you run a higher %

Right now I'm running Super E10 without Toluene. Bike sat since July and started with 13 kicks. We rode 34 miles of singletrack today, no fuel issues, bike ran great
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

even in my 4strokes i run high octane. its only a few cents more and its only roughly 1.5gallon tank and the bike will run better
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Mr. Wibbens,

Toluene is a type of paint thinner correct?
kawabunga

Post by kawabunga »

xr70,xr80, and 06' Odyssey minivan=87 octane.

xr100,xr200,kdx200, GSXR750, Subaru WRX=Best pump available.

Xylene can also be used as an octane enhancer.

I have found that if you cannot get good idle adjustment on the small xr's

after cleaning the pilot jet, then replace with OEM Keihin only.

I have been around the block with this more than once.

Looking at a knockoff under a magnifier often reveals a crudely made part.
reviving old war-horse.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Mr. Wibbens,

Toluene is a type of paint thinner correct?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toluene
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Toluene is a normal part of gasoline. By itself it has higher octane than gasoline and higher energy content but has low volitility which means it doesn't evaporate very fast. Higher toluene content can make harder starting in cold temps.

Ethanol is also higher octane that gasoline but has lower energy content. It also doesn't evaporate very well. Many engines designed to run on straight ethanol have a special cold start circut that pumps gasoline from a small storage tank into the engine intake untill the engine is warm enough to run on straight alcohol.

Ethanol also attracts water which can be an issue. That's what causes many of the carb problems when stored with a gasoline/alcohol mixture in a humid enviroment.

You can raise the octane of your gasoline by adding either ethanol, or toluene, but alcohol reduces (dilutes) the energy content and toluene increases (slightly) it.

Whenever I'm done with a ride I try to run the engine with the fuel off to drain the fuel out of the float bowl. In a pinch I sometimes just take the plug out of the bottom of the float bowl and drain it. That way there is nothing but a slight film of leftover 2-stroke oil.

I've never had any carb problems (that I'm aware of anyway) from letting the bike sit as long as the carb is empty.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

Just put $70 worth of 87 pure in the truck today, I'll have some mpg figures in a couple of weeks.

Brian, you're absolutely right about running the fuel out of the carb, I should be doing that as well. I did it one time and ended up with a stuck float (XR70) and a mess of gas all over the garage floor before I realized it.

On my next fill up, If I can remember a can, I'm going to get some for the XR70, drain out the old, clean the carb - yet again and slap some 87 pure in and see where it gets me........ cause my daughter's legs still aren't quite long enough for the bike yet....... so there's more dormant time for the bike which will be good for testing.