Non-Ethanol 87 or Ethanol Based 91?

Got questions? We got answers....
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

Just updating from my last post.

I ended up getting 15.7 mpg in the truck, which does not anything to brag about, not even worth paying the higher price per gallon imo.

I filled up with it one more time just to make sure, but I think I'd be better off spending the extra for a higher octane in the blend.

However, I did tear the XR70 carb apart again for a real good cleaning and dumped pure in it, just to see if it holds up better than the blended. I got a real good cleaning of the carb bowl using muriatic acid this go around, which took away the chalky and varnished film that resided after previous cleanings. So who knows what will happen now.
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

Re: mpg

If a engine isn't tuned for higher octane there isn't a need to spend extra for high octane gas. If an engine knocks, higher octane or less compression is needed. That's really the only need to use higher octane fuel.
1989 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

IMHO, I tend to buy higher octane gas due to the fact that as gas ages it looses it's octane content. So, if you buy high octane gas it should last longer than regular gas. That is my thought. Right or wrong it seems to be working well for me. :wink:
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

Ended up getting 16.8 mpg on my second tank, probably running the a/c more than the first tank. Mpg is rising.

Plus the first tank was added on top of 1/4 of the blended fuel.

I'll report back later on tank 3.