Kickstarter spring

Got questions? We got answers....
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Kickstarter spring

Post by gsa102 »

Has anyone had the circlip come off the inside of the kickstarter, where the spring holds the dogs together? I was investigating why the kickstarter would skip fairly often. Upon removal I was counting washers and noticed the circlip was off, and one washer did not fit well. The dogs look fine. And I found an extra washer... :roll: I will compare it to the fiche diagram.

I ordered a new circlip and washer from Ron Ayers, and the water pump gasket.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Did you ever find the circlip? I wouldn't want it swimming around in there.
Good luck :partyman:
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Yes, it was still on the shaft, just not in its groove. I ordered a new one because they are cheap, and I would not trust it if it came off once. I am going disassemble the rest of the shaft and compare to the manual, I suspect it may not have been assembled correctly, as far as washer placement. The gasket looked like the side cover had been off not too long ago.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Well, my kickstarter is still skipping. Took it apart yesterday and everything was in the proper place, just must be enough wear on the ratchet to let it skip. The faces don't look bad to me, just a little rounding on the upper corners. I was expecting the ratchet faces to be square, but they have a slight angle that must require the spring pressure to keep it together while you kick.

Is this common on the H model? If not I may try to get replacements on fleabay. Ron Ayers wants 111 for the ratchet parts plus gasket.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250