street lighting options and opinions

Got questions? We got answers....
94_jimmy

street lighting options and opinions

Post by 94_jimmy »

i will be putting my 2000 kdx 200 on the street in the spring. i am wondering about putting a different headlight and taillight to make it a safer and more visible ride. i will run the stock lights if they work sufficiently enough. i am also needing a new brake light switch. the one on there never seems to stay working since i bought the bike. i need something that is reliable and reasonably priced.
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

First step is to check your local laws on required items to pass state inspection, not to mention, getting a vehicle title outside of "off road". (Not all states will do this)

After knowing all that, it's time to start asking yourself a few questions about the current lighting on your bike. (Is if enough for you?)

The major drawback of lighting is the stock headlight brightness (for street use) and the lack of a battery and charging system (for making add on lights with electronics easy).

I started to dabble in this quest when I first bought my KDX, but is seemed to be a little more than I wanted to partake in (unless I wanted to go without a battery and rectifier setup).

I looked into buying this: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/ ... +LEGAL+KIT

If you're looking at a brighter headlight, then you're gonna have to upgrade your stater for the extra output.

Personally, I didn't like the fact that the Tusk kit used a rechargeable battery pack that is totally separate from the bikes electrical system.... I wanted a system like a KLR has, which brings you into the nastiness of installing a rectifier and battery (which has not really been done successfully by reading on this site).

For some, the Tusk will work just fine, but I'm looking for a traditional fix.

Hope this helps.
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I used the Baja Designs kit for my KDX.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetai ... -Enduro-Gn

I upgraded to the LED turnsignals and the motocross LED tail/brake light assy and added an additional brake light switch to the front brake lever.

It's kinda spendy but a simple (mostly) bolt on kit that fits the KDX.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

I've been using Baja Designs kits since the early '90s and have always been happy with their quality. The only problem is with bikes that have a low coil output like the KDX. The problem is compounded when you rectify the power from AC to DC. This lowers the output substantially.

My 200 had a BD kit when I bought it, and can't power a 35w headlight and keep the battery charged with the stock stator, even with LEDs. BD says that even after a rewind, the stator can't support a 55w bulb.

If I was starting from scratch the Tusk kit like Velocity said, sounds like a good route. I'd run the head/tail light off the stator AC, and just have the stand alone battery run the horn and blinkers. Since I have a BD on my bike now, I'm thinking about a higher output stator and a quality ($$$) LED headlight like BD sells, though it might be too bright for the street.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

hey i see your in Michigan aswell
the good news is , you dont "need" turnsignals
the bad news is, cops dont seem to know this :roll:

i run the stock DC system on my bike
it will power the LED taillight i put in and i rewired the brake switch to work in a decent way
(not running a front brake light switch)

i also have a LED headlight (H7 foglight i think) but im not happy with it, the stock filament version was better

we should get together and ride some day :supz:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

hey i see your in Michigan aswell
the good news is , you dont "need" turnsignals
the bad news is, cops dont seem to know this :roll:

i run the stock DC system on my bike
it will power the LED taillight i put in and i rewired the brake switch to work in a decent way
(not running a front brake light switch)

i also have a LED headlight (H7 foglight i think) but im not happy with it, the stock filament version was better

we should get together and ride some day :supz:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
bcdonyo wrote:BD says that even after a rewind, the stator can't support a 55w bulb.
And they are wrong. Just look for slicknick's stator rewind tutorial. 55watts is not a problem at all!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:>|<>QBB<
bcdonyo wrote:BD says that even after a rewind, the stator can't support a 55w bulb.
And they are wrong. Just look for slicknick's stator rewind tutorial. 55watts is not a problem at all!
The BD manual says that a KDX stator, even when rewound to put out 72 watts, can't power a 55/60w light (I assume with an incandescent tail light). They go on to say that it must be rewound to 120w to power the 55/60 headlight once rectified.
http://www.bajadesigns.com/docs/tech-in ... ctions.pdf

Slick Nick's write up was great, and he got 98 watts out of his, but stated he wasn't dual sporting it and didn't seem to rectify the power to DC, which would have dissipated the output. 98 watts will no doubt power a 55/60w bulb if left un-rectified, but you might need an LED tail/brake light to help with the power dissipation a rectifier will cause.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

My point is don't over think it. You don't need to rectify the power output if you don't need turn signals. I have managed to power a 35 watt headlight with an LED tail/brake light with no problem on the stock stator. So, I'm 100% positive a stator wound to an output similar to slicknick's stator will power a 55/60 watt bulb with absolutely no problem if you remain with DC.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R