220 cylinder on a old type 200 engine ?

Got questions? We got answers....
Frysk

220 cylinder on a old type 200 engine ?

Post by Frysk »

Is this possible?

I'm thinking of getting a bit bigger bore cylinder without having to resleeve the whole thing..

I own a '90 KDX200 and so this is the old type engine but will a new type fit, I know that the KIPS systems works different but is it possible ?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

it won't exactly fit, but you can make it fit. Take some time to read up on the difference between the 220 and the 200 before you decide to do this. The E series KDX200 arguably has the best power delivery. The larger displacement of the 220, along with super mild porting and the smaller carb, makes it an absolute torque monster. The 200 is actually the faster bike, though.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

You can do it, but it takes a lot of parts, including the cylinder with all KIPS parts, head, inner and outer clutch covers, KIPS actuation shaft with claw/gear, and MAYBE the complete clutch assembly, but the E clutch might work. It depends on whether the clutch actuator shaft is the right size to work through the H cover and still reach the E clutch.
David Eckel
Frysk

Post by Frysk »

Crap, the cylinder/head/kips part I've figured out indeed but I understand that I need a new type clutch cover etc ?

That is a bit expensive to ship everything to Holland :|

I think my best bet is to find a complete engine, engine mounts are the same right ?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You may have some issues with pipe fitment. Other than that it should pretty much bolt in. Honestly though, the 220 is a big difference from the 200, and probably not in the way that you're thinking. Just saying, it's not the equivelent of a big bore on a 200.