KDX 220 headlight not working

Got questions? We got answers....
tuscanidream

KDX 220 headlight not working

Post by tuscanidream »

The headlight hasn't been working on my 01 KDX 220. The OEM bulb seemed to look fine, but I replaced it anyways with no luck of light being produced. I also replaced the voltage one with another used one in working condition. No luck again.

If there is any tips or testing methods to help me sort out this issue, please let me know.

I hope to contribute to this forum more as I will be fixing up my KDX. I bought it new in 01. Had KDX 200's before and love them.

Thanks,
Keil
Street, Dirt and Rotary fun
Frysk

Post by Frysk »

Have you checked the wiring with a multimeter ?
tuscanidream

Post by tuscanidream »

>|<>QBB<
Frysk wrote:Have you checked the wiring with a multimeter ?
I have not. I am not electrical savvy. Could you please write a quick walk through for me and maybe tomorrow I'll pick up a multimeter.? I would really appreciate it.
Frysk

Post by Frysk »

I nether have a lot of knowledge about electrics but this is kinda simple,

Start your bike en put a the red pin on the + cable for your head light and your black pin to the - cable or on the frame (it should read 12v)

If it doesn't then you need to measure is there is any current from your light coil to your light box (the thing in your picture, don't know the english word)

If power runs from the ignition to your thingy then the thingy is probaly broken..

If it doesn't then your light coil is probaly cooked.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Before you do any of that rule out the easy stuff. Check the connectors by the steering stem. Make sure the switch isn't fucked, etc...
'00 KDX 220R
tuscanidream

Post by tuscanidream »

>|QBB<[/url]
Slick_Nick wrote:Before you do any of that rule out the easy stuff. Check the connectors by the steering stem. Make sure the switch isn't fucked, etc...
I forgot to mention that I unplugged the switch and took the yellow and red bullet connectors and attached them together, bypassing the switch. Yielded no results.

I'll try to get a multimeter soon.
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

Evidently your switch is not the problem----so with the red and yellow wires pulled out of your switch and shorted together---and the bike running---is your tail light lit up? If yes your regulator is good and you will find the problem in one of two places: 1. check continuity of your red wire between the regulator and the headlight----if that's good then, 2. check continuity to ground from your headlight black wire to ground.

If your tail light did not light up---and the element there is good---then separate the red and yellow leads that you have shorted---and verify that you are getting an AC voltage with your meter set on AC voltage check between the yellow lead and ground ---if nothing there then back track the yellow lead to the connector coming from your magneto and check it there---no voltage----big problem---but before you panic check any black wire for continuity go ground-------you will get no lights is your black wire isn't grounded---often times you will find your connection to ground corroded---clean it and test again. It's not likely that your stator lighting coil is bad--more likely that you will find a bad connection or broken wire somewhere-----do you have a wiring diagram?----there is one in the back of your book!
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
sthutch
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by sthutch »

I recently had an issue with my headlight also. Long story short, the bulb's two prongs had worn away the contact points in the socket. Two dollups of solder on the contact points and it was back to working fine.

Stuch
Sthutch

1st Bike: '72 Arctic Cat Whisker (rode it to the wheels fell off)
2nd Bike: '76 KT250 Trials (gone, but not forgotten)
3rd Bike: '01 KDX200
4th Bike: '96 DS80 (okay, my 9yr old's and it's gone)
5th Bike: '04 RM65 (okay, he's now 10 and it's gone)
6th Bike: '08 KTM 105xc (okay, he's now 13)
7th Bike: '06 KTM 200xc-w (okay, he's now 16)