1986 KDX 200 rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
hbgod

Re: 1986 KDX 200 rebuild

Post by hbgod »

Well quick update. Had a pretty bad clutch problem where it would only work taking off from neutral. It became impossible to pull after taking off. Ended up pulling the engine cover and found that the nut that holds the clutch basket on had backed off to about the last few threads. Fixed that problem and now i have a clutch again. Still need to do some small stuff to it. Ended up just using a universal foam filter that clamps over the end of the carb.
Still need to get the bike to actually charge the battery and shes running kinda stupid through first-third down low. I think the carb is still overflowing abit with gas, also probably need to jet it alittle better.
Gonna get the wheels balanced and go for a sticker tomorrow i think. It shakes an insane amount over 50mph
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

So another small update.
Ordered a new regulator/rectifier and now im actually getting a DC output but my battery wont hold a charge so ordered a new battery as well. ( i used the battery alot testing my lighting system so im sure thats why its junk)
Got my wheels balanced with some vintage spoke weights for $35. No more shake.
Gonna get a sticker as soon as my battery comes in.
As for the carb problem im going to end up just buying a later model KDX carb. Just makes life a ton easier. I did it for my hotrod motor that i still dont have....
Clutch feels like its slipping abit but im also getting pretty foamy oil. Think ill switch over to atf so it doesnt foam and see if it helps.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

So. Got my new battery in. So far charging system is working and keeping the battery fully charged. (I re-wrapped the lighting coil for better output)
Got an inspection sticker.
Also bought a carb and intake boot off of KDXFZRRD :) and boy is she happy now. Took her for a quick ride and she feels like a whole new bike. Man did that 92 pwk wake her up.
I didnt realize how drastic of a difference in intake boots there was though. Now the carb is in a perfect spot to use the K&N filter i have but im going to have to relocate the battery. At least the carbs not pointing at the shock any longer.
Couldnt be happier. Gonna throw a new plug in tomorrow and check my mixture.