1986 KDX 200 rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
hbgod

Re: 1986 KDX 200 rebuild

Post by hbgod »

s10gto wrote:Don't blame ya there. Tires are no fun. I am a tech at a full service auto shop that has all the tire tools and equipment available to me and I still hate them.

Still 1 1/2ft of snow left stay in FL. :grin:
Yah i have plenty of tire irons and clamps, already did the front but the rear is such a bigger pain. And im sure theres still a nice pile infront of my garage, cant wait to pull my car out as well.
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

I here ya. Cars,Boats and Bikes as soon as the snows gone i am coming out hot.. :twisted:
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

So quick update.
Unfortunately im STILL waiting on any word from the machine shop, not sure if the guy went on vacation or something but there has been atleast some activity at his shop.
I decided to pull the cylinder off the spare motor i bought and found out that it has already been sleeved so im going to most likely have that bored to the next size up and keep as a spare incase i ever stick mine or wear it enough to need a bore ill already have one ready to go.

I went to mount the new rear tire and found a nice crack running down the side of the rim lip and runs almost to the center of the rim on the inside.(anyone have any experience with welding cracked rims? Are they good as new or should i just junk it? Thinking about keeping it as a spare.) Either way i just picked up another rim this weekend which is in good shape for $75 so gonna mount that this week.

Lastly i picked up a GoPro3+ black for $150. Didnt come with any accessories but i ordered a bunch of stuff off eBay and couldnt be happier. Ive tested it and works great.

So hope to have the motor back soon.... nice weathers finally here and im itching to ride.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

Here's some pics as she sits now. Ended up picking up another wheel for $75 and mounted my tire to it so thats all set now. Getting the good bearing out of the other rim without ruining them was nerve racking but i did it. Now waiting on my motor still.... then gotta shorten the wiring harness and figure out where the hell im gonna mount my battery..... its small but not as small as the tusk kits(no not the battery in the pics.)
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

1986 KDX 200 rebuild

Post by s10gto »

Looking good! Any sign of that engine? The forest are open.
hbgod

1986 KDX 200 rebuild

Post by hbgod »

s10gto wrote:Looking good! Any sign of that engine? The forest are open.
Supposed to have it by the end of this week.... but we'll see, starting to lose hope. rode my buddies wr426 the other day which is awesome. Made a fiberglass batterybox for my bike aswell.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

So finally some good news. The guy whos been doing all the machine work on my engine got it back together and it wasnt shifting into 3rd. So he took it back apart and re-aligned the shift drum and now it shifts perfect. Dropping off my pipe to him on monday and hopefully ill have it back mid week running mint. Ill probably fatten it up alittle bit since ill be running on the street alot. Not much left to do other then paint the engine, throw it in, and hook up the rectifier. Also gotta balance tires and bleed the front brake but thats quick nd easy.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Hey hbgod, Did you get her done?
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

s10gto wrote:Hey hbgod, Did you get her done?
Sadly still waiting on my motor.... had alot of issues with the machine shop. After months of not hearing from them he finally got back to me. Had it put together but wouldnt shift into 3rd. So he took it back apart and got it working but has had the head off multiple times changing porting and tuning it..... so Bad news is i still dont have it. Good news is when i do itll probably be monsterous lol. I ended up selling my pickup and buying a 2000 YZF600 to fill my riding need for the season so just kinda been waiting now. although he said i should have it for this weekend.... ive heard that alot tho so who knows at this point..... everything else is done though with the exception of having the rear shock charged.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

That sucks! Hope you get it and find that the wait was well worth it. Congrats on the new to you bike! :grin:
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

So, exciting update. STILL havent received my motor from the machine shop it is by far the worst experience ive ever had. BUT. i picked up a running 86 kdx200 today for $400. It needs a bunch of other work but maybe ill fix the rest of it down the road. I pulled the motor out and tomorrow im going to give it alittle TLC and go for a ride on my totally street legal kdx200. WooHoo.

Also i ended up selling my yzf600 and buying an 07 CRF450R which is probably going to turn into a money pit so i might just sell it. Its in decent shape but is seemingly one thing after another needing to be fixed.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

Swapped the motor in, kicked it a handful of times then the bottom end locked up... my KDX is cursed.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

Found out what it was. Flywheel magnets.... figures right. The one part i dont have a spare of and is not easily acquired... Definitely cursed.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

So a guy my buddy works with happened to have an 86 kdx 200 back in the day annnndddd he had a flywheel laying in his garage and just gave it to me. This thing is brand new. He had broken one back when the bike was newer and ordered 2 spares.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Oh HELL yeah, you are a lucky man!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Quick! Play the lottery before your luck wears off[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

6 Riders wrote:Oh HELL yeah, you are a lucky man!
In finding that flywheel hell yes i am.
Except for the fact that i went to take the lighting coil off to rewire it because the magnet scratched the coating off and ended up snapping the bolt off inside the stator plate.... and one of the stator plate screws are also stuck and wont come out... I should add that when i pulled the stator cover off it was about half full of water that was in there for who knows how long. It was sooooo orange and nasty... got it soaking in pb overnight maybe ill get it off tomorrow with an impact screw driver.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

4 years later.... She's alive!

[youtube][/youtube]

Having a problem with my petcock. But thankfully i have 2 so hopefully ill be able to make a working one out of two.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

[youtube][/youtube]
Took it for a quick ride around the block. Battery was dead and had no airfilter on it as i just ordered one that should actually fit today..... 4 years in the making and ive finally taken her for a ride.

Before and after picture.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Great job on getting it finished!