1986 KDX 200 rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

1986 KDX 200 rebuild

Post by Dekon »

Looking good. Great job on the rear fender.
hbgod

1986 KDX 200 rebuild

Post by hbgod »

Dekon wrote:Looking good. Great job on the rear fender.
Thanks, i had to drill new holes closer to the front and make brackets for the back but making brackets allowed me to drill out the holes in the fender for the blinkers and not need to drill the holes in the frame larger so worked out well. I'm going to buy a new riding bag for the fender, as much as id like another blue one the blue ones are $45 and the black ones are $15. maybe ill buy a blue one down the road but for now ill just get the generic one.

Next step is going to get the under-tail kit, horn, mirror, a new shift lever, and maybe some new chain pads for the swing-arm. This way ill have everything that needs to be wired and i can start to make diagrams and lay everything out. Ill see where im at with money after that and whether or not i have my engine back by then to see what the next steps will be.

List of stuff i still need:
Chain
sprockets
chain wear pads
Vapor-tech
mirror
horn
batteries
under-tail kit
shift lever
fender bag
Chain guide(maybe)
and a K&N pod filter

Once i have the motor back I'm going to make a skid plate as well, maybe some other stuff too since i went to a swap meet today and picked up some nice pieces of sheet-metal dirt cheap
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
hbgod

Re: 1986 KDX 200 rebuild

Post by hbgod »

Still waiting on my engine :( got my undertail kit in though.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

So quick update. Still no word on my motor but ordered a bunch of parts and found a guy near me who was parting out a ktm and grabbed a brand new DID xring gold chain for $50 and a Vapor tech for $50. So just ordered a tempt sensor and speed sensor kit for the vapor for another $45. Definitely scored there. The vapor came with the indicator dash that im not gonna use so if anyone wants that ill sell it cheap.

Also finished restoring the gas tank, next ive gotta pull my wheels off and sandblast them and throw on my new tires :)
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

1986 KDX 200 rebuild

Post by s10gto »

Nice! Got the same headlight on my YZ. In blue of course :grin:
hbgod

1986 KDX 200 rebuild

Post by hbgod »

s10gto wrote:Nice! Got the same headlight on my YZ. In blue of course :grin:
lol sweet, my buddy wants to get the blue one for his wr
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

Wiring for my rear turn signals and undertail kit. Wired them all into one connector.

Wrapped my exhaust with heat wrap so hopefully i wont melt my new plastics, mounted my fenderbag and Vaportech. I'm probably gonna make a better mount later on but this will work for now.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

1986 KDX 200 rebuild

Post by s10gto »

Looking good! Looks like your closing in on her now. Won't be long! :partyman:
hbgod

1986 KDX 200 rebuild

Post by hbgod »

s10gto wrote:Looking good! Looks like your closing in on her now. Won't be long! :partyman:
Yah, I'm really just waiting to know what happens with my engine. I know the bottom end is solid but apparently back when they sold sleeves for this bike it wasnt actually for my bike and already had my topend bored to fit it. So might need a new cylinder. But machine shop might modify it to fit, we'll see. Other than that its another $200ish some wiring and fabrication and she's done.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

So i picked up a spare parts motor(no stator or flywheel) and a kickstand for $100 off craigslist and ordered the rest of the parts i need for the bike. Now all im waiting on is the motor.... fingers crossed. Then gotta do some wiring, fabricating, painting, and figure out what im gonna run for an airfilter setup :)
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

Just realized the battery i bought is to big, and very heavy as well. So just bought a Ricky Stator 65watt coil and gonna order a much smaller battery as well. For the $35 i spent on the battery itll be good for testing stuff in the garage not a big deal.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Don't get her done too quick...she will make the winter longer when all you can do it look at her. :wink:
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

s10gto wrote:Don't get her done too quick...she will make the winter longer when all you can do it look at her. :wink:
Forreal, its to cold to actuallyy work on her anyway :/
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

I have now come to the realization its just to cold to really do anything other than wiring. Nothing wants to come apart, tires are extra difficult because of the cold weather, I'm just gonna leave it all until its abit warmer out. First thing is i gotta replace the swingarm bushings/bearings, then sandblast the rear rim and swap tires(did the front the other night... it sucked), then ill mount in the motor, wire everything, and hopefully be riding in a week after warm enough weather to actually do stuff.

My question is the Freddette Chain guard. Did any of you have to modify the stock bracket in order to fit it? Mine has 2 raised edges that make the new guide not quite fit.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

So even though im not getting any work done on the bike especially since theres about 4 feet of snow infront of my garage ive been doing some research on supermoto wheels. I want to run the bike at racewars in june at New England Dragway just to see what she'll do down the strip(eventhough ill probably run out of bike by the end of the 1/4).

So cost of the tires aside i could probably get another rear wheel assembly off a guy near me for like $50 or just two whole bikes for $500 lol. and since its already an 18 theres plenty of street tires available.

Now as for the front. I'm running an 86 kx125 front end because they are basically the same and i had already rebuilt the forks on the kx. I can get a Kx front hub for $50 on eBay. I can also get an 18x2.15 front rim and spoke set for it for $320(custom drilled) and spend the time lacing it myself(or for an extra $80 i can ship them my hub and they can do it). I feel like this would definitely be the cheapest and probably easiest route. Any input?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Don't Sumos run 17s? I'd think that 18" tires would be a pain to find for a KDX.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

6 Riders wrote:Don't Sumos run 17s? I'd think that 18" tires would be a pain to find for a KDX.
Yah but then id have to convert the rear to a 17 as well and that adds another $400 to the cost. If i go with 18s then i dont have to play with the rear. You can get plenty of tires in 18s already looked. Not as many as 17s but still readily available.
hbgod

1986 KDX 200 rebuild

Post by hbgod »

Made a wiring diagram for how i plan on wiring my bike. (Everywhere it says "+12v" is going to be wired to the key. And every ground will be routed to the battery.)
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

Looks pretty good.