New Pipe Jetting issues

Got questions? We got answers....
F1

New Pipe Jetting issues

Post by F1 »

I just installed a gnarly woods pipe on my 06. No airbox mods and what I believe to be stock jetting. I have boyesen power reeds yet to be installed also.

1. Does the new pipe richen or lean the fuel? (BTW how does a pipe - which is post combustion effect the combustion mixture?)

2. FRD says the airbox mod and the pipe require no jetting changes. Do you agree? If stock (160/ 48) is rich does the airbox/pipe lean it out some towards the right direction?

3. If I add the reeds now with the pipe and airbox mod will the bike be running rich with no jetting changes? Or will it be too far lean at that point?

I'm at sea level and its cold out. :grin:

i'd like to make the mods above without farking around with the carb. Never messed with jets before and I'd rather pay someone to get it right the first time than me blasting around my neighborhood doing plug chops and cursing all day. It runs fine now - stock and rich. Not its best, but fine. If the above mods move it closer to ideal but not perfect - thats fine with me . i just dont want to lean it out too much if i decide to ride without messing with the jetting.

Thanks.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

there's nothing to it, you can (and SHOULD) do it yourself:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1156
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Don't fark with it. Send the carb and head to RB and be done with it. Get the $25 mixture screw while you're at it. You'll thank me.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
MadMax wrote:Don't fark with it. Send the carb and head to RB and be done with it. Get the $25 mixture screw while you're at it. You'll thank me.
What's that to do with jetting his carb???
RBD will give you a RANGE for the jetting, but you still have to TRY IT to see what will work best.
The odds of the bike getting too lean with stock jetting is pretty slim imho even with all the mods you described, so if you're afraid of seizing or breaking **** up, I'd say you're pretty safe.
By the way, a poorly jetted KDX will run, however when it's jetted close to spot on, you'll have a totally different bike.
The 1 hour spent to get it right is well worth it.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I assume this is on a 200

The pipe will lean it out a bit, opening up the air box a bit more. I don't know which way the reeds will push it, I'd guess a bit leaner still. You'll still be in no danger of being too lean IMO, just don't go WOT up and down the road.

Changing the jetting is not hard and is rewarding.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

Nothing you can mod on the bike will increase the flow enough to make the stock jetting anywhere near close to right.
I have a Gnarly, PC2, no airbox lid, complete VForce 3 reed block, RB modded head and carb, and am running 42/155 jetting in the colder months at 1200ft ASL. 40/152 in the hot season.
The stock jetting is so crazy rich so as to make the bike live (with no warranty/bad press issues) with any fuel, oil, and mix ratio that could possibly be thrown at them. A mechanical version of a lawyer disclaimer. Read through the jetting stickies here and over on TT's Kawi 2 stroke forum, you should be able to get a good idea of ballpark where you should be with your jetting.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness