Fiberglass Pipeguard

Got questions? We got answers....
HankXR250
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Fiberglass Pipeguard

Post by HankXR250 »

Has anyone tried making a glass pipe guard ala Canadian Dave's site?

I kinda like the idea of a non-metallic guard, but I wonder about (1) the stink when hot and (2) the strength of the glass.

I'm in GA, but it can get sorta rocky at times.
Arkmage

Post by Arkmage »

The stink shouldn't be a problem as long as the right type of epoxy is used. Keep in mind that a lot of folks are running carbon fiber muffler cans and with the exception of the fiber content the two materials are pretty similar.
swatts

Post by swatts »

I run a Fredette fibreglass guard held on by two hose clamps and no problem with the heat, good protection for many years now, takes a beating and keeps on ticking.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

HankXR250 - I hear you on the rocks. I've been riding for a while and on one particular trip to Highland Park, I got two dents in my pipe.

It is off your topic, but where do you usually go riding?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Just take it off after a wet ride or when you wash your bike :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

I Have made two they work great laid over on rocks no problem way stronger then the cheap aluminum gaurds, takes a little bit of sanding and I usually repaint once a year but I used white cloth I guess you can buy black cloth, I also made my skid plate out of fiberglass.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Just take it off after a wet ride or when you wash your bike :wink:
Hmm.......

I seem to remember someone saying you never have to take a pipe guard off and the pipe will look like new if you ever did..... :wink:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Just take it off after a wet ride or when you wash your bike :wink:
Hmm.......

I seem to remember someone saying you never have to take a pipe guard off and the pipe will look like new if you ever did..... :wink:
Yeah on my ALUMINUM guard

Carvr has one one those pos water retaining fiberglass guards and it ruined his pipe, rusted clean through :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
HankXR250
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by HankXR250 »

>|<>QBB<
Tedh98 wrote:HankXR250 - I hear you on the rocks. I've been riding for a while and on one particular trip to Highland Park, I got two dents in my pipe.

It is off your topic, but where do you usually go riding?
Mainly just Highland park, Durhamtown maybe 3 times a year. I do like Houston Valley, especially when money is tight.

Oh, and one trip to Ocala each year to keep my sand skills up.
HankXR250
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by HankXR250 »

Thanks for all the responses - looks like this is the way to go (with proper cleaning).

My aim, besides protection, is to add as little extra noise as possible - will probably end up with a Hyde skidplate over an alum one.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

how exactly would it add extra noise?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

I have a FRP guard and after washing I just ride it for a while and it burns all of the moisture out. I take it off maybe once a year to clean it and wipe the pipe down with wd-40...I have a fmf desert pipe btw
ldspowersports
Supporting Member

Post by ldspowersports »

>|<>QBB<
HankXR250 wrote:Thanks for all the responses - looks like this is the way to go (with proper cleaning).

My aim, besides protection, is to add as little extra noise as possible - will probably end up with a Hyde skidplate over an alum one.
I had a fiberglass Hyde about two years ago. I took a fall in a rocky area and the plate shattered. I am not sure if I hit it just right - or that is the risk you take. I always recommend an aluminum plate - they are just plain unbreakable.

http://www.enduroarmor.com/skid-plates-1/
Klammer

Post by Klammer »

>|QBB|QBB<[/url]
HankXR250 wrote:Thanks for all the responses - looks like this is the way to go (with proper cleaning).

I had a fiberglass Hyde about two years ago. I took a fall in a rocky area and the plate shattered. I am not sure if I hit it just right - or that is the risk you take. I always recommend an aluminum plate - they are just plain unbreakable.

http://www.enduroarmor.com/skid-plates-1/[/quote]
I didn't know that Hyde ever made fiberglass pipe guards. I run Hyde guards exclusively because you just can't distroy them. I have them on both of my bikes and both are made from a teflon impregnated polymer that is tough as "Hyde". When I land on a rock, instead of goughing and hooking up on the rock, I just grease the rock and slide off! They're not cheap, but worth every penny. My 2 cents.
Klammer
jeffsilver1

Fiberglass Pipeguard

Post by jeffsilver1 »

Hyde Skidplates/Pipeguards are Top Notch. My family owns 3 each 2004 KDX's, but only one Hyde Skidplate/Pipegard. Does anyone know if they are still available somewhere? The net takes you to a company in MN, I think. This company does not return emails and seems disinterested or unable to sell any more. It seems they are out of stock for the KDX w/ FMF Desert Pipe. Help?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Fiberglass Pipeguard

Post by bufftester »

jeffsilver1

Re: Fiberglass Pipeguard

Post by jeffsilver1 »

I just got conformation from Hyde Racing that the skid/pipe guards shipped. Thanks for the help bufftester, looking foreward to putting these on.