Trans Vent Hose?

Got questions? We got answers....
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Trans Vent Hose?

Post by Slick_Nick »

I have my transmission vent hose routed down the backside of the engine near where the carb vent hoses go. Have had it there since I bought the bike (that's how it came.) I was bored and looking through the "wire and hose routing" diagrams on the shitter, and saw that the hose should be run up to the airbox. I have no problem doing this, but I've seen lots of other bikes that just leave the breather pointed down at the ground. I've traversed some pretty deep rivers with it like that and have yet to suck in any water.

Thoughts?
'00 KDX 220R
nearma12

Post by nearma12 »

I always ran mine down by the engine as well.

My KDX250 had the vent hose run into the airbox when I bought it. Then one day, my water pump seal failed and pumped anti-freeze and water into my gearbox. It overflowed the gearbox and dumped oily antifreeze into my airbox and straight into my carb.

The bike was blowing smoke like crazy and it wouldn't idle. It took forever to get that crap out of my carb. It was thick and sticky. I removed the vent hose from the airbox soon after.

I never had any problems with the hose run down by the motor.
Last edited by nearma12 on 09:06 pm Jan 03 2012, edited 1 time in total.
1991 KDX250
2000 KX250
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Neither have I, hence my question. I'm guessing the only reason it was run up that high was to avoid water entry, but as I said I've never had it happen before.
'00 KDX 220R
nearma12

Post by nearma12 »

On my KX, I have the hose zip-tied to the frame. It is up high enough to keep water out. Maybe you could do that if you are worried about water.
1991 KDX250
2000 KX250
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'd say it's a good idea to have it routed upward. Mine runs down with the carb vents too, though. Never had any real problem.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

always had it going to the airbox, like it is sposed to be :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: Trans Vent Hose?

Post by Slick_Nick »

Do you guys run it INTO the airbox? I just use the little "hoop" molded into the bottom of the airbox to hold the hose there.
'00 KDX 220R
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Mine is run into the airbox. It was like that when I bought the bike and I just figured that's how its supposed to be. I never really gave it any thought until now.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Mine was with the carb vent hoses. I always wondered why the air box had the funny flap thing on the bottom. I’ll leave mine where it is
I like turtles
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

John_S wrote: 01:13 pm Jul 09 2019 Mine is run into the airbox. It was like that when I bought the bike and I just figured that's how its supposed to be. I never really gave it any thought until now.
Was there a hole punched into the airbox? My one doesnt have a hole which is why I thought the hoop was where it was meant to go.
'00 KDX 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Slick Nick, get on the left side of the bike and look to the right a bit. It's there.

Seek and Ye shall find.

It is almost to the top of the air box.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128