Clark or IMS fuel Tank

Got questions? We got answers....
SVandal

Clark or IMS fuel Tank

Post by SVandal »

I'm looking at a desert tank for my KDX/CR hybrid and wanted to see what experiences people have had with the two. Prices are a little more for the IMS, and the clarke has a little more capacity. Thanks for the help!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I've got an IMS on my hybrid. It didn't fit as well as I would have liked, I haven't had any other issues with it. And for what I paid for it on eBay, I can't complain.

Now if I was buying it brand new, I would have returned it based on the fitment and tried the clarke.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Did it hit the engine or just not fit the frame? I'm thinking about the clarke for cost and capacity. Just not sure if it will be any better. Trying to get prepped for the riding season. Ran out of gas on a short trip last year and decided it was time to get back to KDX fuel capacity in addition to the 2 liters I pack along in my back pack.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
SVandal wrote:Did it hit the engine or just not fit the frame?
The engine did hit the tank, but I can't fault IMS for that since it wasn't designed for that frame/engine combination.

It fit in the frame fine, my problem was with the seat and shrouds. I had to make some modifications to get the shrouds to even bolt on. Maybe the stock shrouds were never meant to bolt on, but I'm not aware that custom shrouds are needed with IMS.

And my seat didn't want to slide up on the tank far enough to bolt on. But again, a little bit of modification made it work.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Ok, hopefully I won't run into that with the CR125 hybrid. Still looking and hoping a used one goes up on ebay. If not I'll have to buy the big one to get another 20 miles per tank.
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

Can't comment on the hybrid situation but I have Clarke tanks on both of my CR250s. They fit well. The only drawback that I've run into is that I had to switch to the short spark plug that KTMs use to be able to change plugs without removing the gas tank. No big deal other than the short plug is more expensive than the standard plug. Luckily I don't have any plug fowling problems with either bike.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

I'm going to try and call Clarke Monday to see how much it drops compared to the stock tank. Looking at it last night there is no room for the petcock area, and a little above the spark plug so I'm hoping they didn't use those areas for the expansion.