Clutch Play

Got questions? We got answers....
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Clutch Play

Post by wbdisco »

I have been practicing my dead engine starts with the bike in 2nd gear and have a hard time starting. My bike keeps trying to lurch forward when i kick, even with the clutch engaged. I guess what I am trying to find out is, should i be able to roll the bike completely free with the clutch lever pulled even when the bike is in gear?? I haven't tried any adjustments yet, but wanted to at least get a starting point.
2000 KDX200(mine)
Polini X3(daughter)(FOR SALE)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
1969 M35a2 (Deuce and a 1/2)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I can just about push mine in gear with the engine stoped but there is a lot of drag. But I can easily start it in gear once it is warmed up. Try checking the clutch actuator arm position (It is in the manual) to make sure the pusher is shimmed right then make sure the lever is adjusted right. It might not hurt to replace the lever and perch if there is much play in it.
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

So are you saying that with the clutch lever pulled in, the bike should roll like it is in neutral?? When the bike is running and in gear just a slight pull of the lever engages the clutch, but for some reason when i am trying to start in gear it seems like I haven't pulled the clutch in at all.
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

No, with the engine off and the bike in gear mine has a lot of drag with the clutch pulled in. You can roll the bike but it is difficult. But with it running and the clutch pulled in it pushes somewhat easy in gear.

If you can't start it in gear once it is warmed up something is not quite right. I had to remove a "shim" from the clutch actuator shaft to get the right clutch arm angle. You may have to do the same. I also found a new clutch lever / perch assembly mad a very noticable difference for not a lot of money. My old lever didn't seem THAT bad until I tried a new one.

It might even be something to do with the oil you are using. My bike seems to be very fussy as to what oil is in it and how long it has been in there. :neutral:
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

i gotcha, that is about the same with mine. The lurching was with a cold engine. I was going to try again today, but a stump took off my gear shifter lever, so until my new one gets here it will have to sit.
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Don't practice dead starts on a cold engine. Practice just like you would at a race. Your engine should be already warmed up when staging on the starting line. If you tried to start a race on a cold engine you would be asking for a cold seizure or, at a minimum, a really crappy start as everyone passes you cause your bike runs like ****.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
F1

Post by F1 »

I finally got a good ride in today on my new to me 06. I cant kick it over when its in gear with the clutch pulled in either.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The bike will start a little harder in gear than in neutral. You may have to set down your purse and hike up your skirt so you can give it a good, hard, fast kick. :lol: With it in gear you will have the extra drag of everything in the engine slowing down the starting process. If your bike doesn't start great to begin with you should probably start there.