1993 KDX 250 REBUILD.....WITH SOME KX PARTS

Got questions? We got answers....
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Romanm
find a ups store or a parcel service store just over the border that will allow you to have rbates' goods shipped there. For about 5 bucks a package they'll hang onto it and you can go to the states and pick it up yourself. It will save you shipping and brokerage fees and be faster when you take it through customs yourself. You just have to declare the worth of the goods you bought (with a paypal receipt or ebay receipt) and pay the taxes on it.
Easy peasy
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
romanm

Post by romanm »

Ill have to pass on the 99 frame. I need to do this all on a budget. With that said.......I have a 91 kx in my garage!! Picked it up for pretty cheap....next to nothing really but its just the frame, plastics, couple engine pieces, pipe, shocks and wheels.

So does anyone know exactly what the difference is in weight between the 93 kdx 250 frame and 91 kx 250 frame?

What about spring rates on the front and rear?

The frame looks pretty worn unfortunately. And the swing-arm is the same length.....I was hopping it was longer.....oh well.

Ill be sandblasting the frame this week and then ill post pictures. Hopefully no hidden surprises will be found. It was a quick exchange as it was late and i was tired....hopefully i didn't get hosed. The frame does look a tad bit beat up unfortunately though.....well know for sure after the frame is bead blasted.

Edit- Forgot to mention. The bike came with a carb, cylinder and crank. Apparently the engine was run without tranny oil which blew the trans bearings. What im wondering is...because the cylinder is sleeved, would i be better off using this cylinder instead? I could just get it bored 10 over and honed and put a piston in and call it a day. The crank it came with also looks to be in better condition than mine.....so I could use that too and save some money since I wouldn't need to rebuild my crank or have my cylinder replated. But the thing has no intake bridge so this thing is all about top end. Any thoughts here boys?

Decisions decisions.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I think you'd be better off fixing the '93 KDX 250 motor and putting it in the '91 KX frame.
The '91 KX 250 was a pretty good bike. A '91 KX with a KDX250 motor wold be better, IMO
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
romanm

Post by romanm »

Sorry...I meant right now my engine combination is either a or b.....either of which would go into the rebuilt kx 250 chassis.

A
Take the kx cylinder and get it bored and honed to the next size.
New piston
Use the KX crank....its still good
Bolt all this onto the KDX bottom end, using the KDX gears flywheel ect

B
Replate kdx jug
New piston
Rebuilt crank or reuse crank
KDX bottom end/internals

Ideally B...but A is cheaper
romanm

Post by romanm »

****. Not off to a good start.
Issues so far

1. One of the rad tabs are busted off
2. The bike didnt come with rads. I assumed mine were the same and were bolt on. WRONG. They do not fit.

I just googled some pictures.....definetly need new rads here. I could try to make these work, but Id have to stick to the kdx head that has one coolant oulet.....vs 2 on the kx. And the coil is in the way too. I dont want to jimmy rig this...I want it looking proper.

Also, the frame looks pretty beat up. Ill get some pics up soon. I think I bought someone else junk....there was a mouse nest in the intake!!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Yeah, I understood. Motor option B is the way I would go, in the KX frame.

Putting the KX cylinder on the KDX lower end gets you a '91 KX250 motor. I like the KDX250 motor a lot better.

The KDX 250 frame is not so good. The KX 250 frame is way better.

You'd end up with a good bike, IMO. Of course, it is not my money or time we are talking about.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
romanm

Post by romanm »

WELL. UPDATE ON THE THREAD. THE KX FRAME I BOUGHT IS PRETTY TRASHED. ALMOST BEYOND WHAT I WOULD CALL SALVAGEABLE. UPON DISS-ASSEMBLY IT WAS VERY EVIDENT THIS THING HAS BEEN BEAT HARD AND PUT AWAY WET

THE NEW PLAN

KDX 250 FRAME----> I MIGHT WELD ON SOME LIGHT DUTY TUBE RAD GUARDS. THESE THINGS ARE HARD TO FIND NOW I BET....DON'T WANT THEM BREAKING. ALSO WELDING ON 4 TABS ON THE BOTTOM FOR A CUSTOM SKID PLATE THAT WILL COME AT A LATER DATE. PAINTING IT EITHER GREEN, BLACK, OR WHITE.

91 KX FRONT END-----> REBUILDING THE SHOCKS, AND SETTING THEM TO STOCK. I WEIGH 175LBS SO I'M HOPING THE 0.39 STOCK SPRINGS WILL BE FINE.

REAR SHOCK----> I HAVE BOTH THE 93 KDX AND THE 91 KX. IM GOING TO ASSUME THE KX IS BETTER HERE. IM ALSO GOING TO REBUILD IT, SET IT BACK TO STOCK AND STICK IT IN. NEW BEARINGS MORE THAN LIKELY.

REAR LINKAGE/SWING ARM----> KEEPING THE KDX ONE FOR THE KICKSTAND OPTION. SANDING AND POLISHING IT TOO. IT DIDN'T SEEM THAT I HAD ANY PLAY IN THE REAR PIVOTS AS WELL. I WAS RATHER SURPRISED WHEN I TOOK APART THE FRONT END AND NOTICED NICE CLEAN BEARINGS AND FRESH GREASE. HOPING THE REAR IS SIMILAR. I WILL BE ADDING ZERK FITTINGS HERE THOUGH FOR SERVICE INTERVALS.

PLASTICS---> NEW HEADLIGHT, STOCK SIDE PANELS, AND THE KX TAIL. EVERYTHING WILL BE WET-SANDED TO BRING IT BACK TO LIKE NEW CONDITION. NO STICKERS HERE EITHER.

MOTOR---->STILL UNDECIDED. I HAVE A KX JUG THAT'S SLEEVED. ITS THE CHEAPEST OPTION AS I HAVE A PISTON TO USE WITH IT. OR DO I SEND MY JUG OFF TO BE RE-COATED TO STOCK SIZE. OR DO I DO A 265 ERIC GORR JOB. I DON'T KNOW. DON'T EVENT KNOW IF I SHOULD REBUILD THE CRANK OR STICK THE STOCK ONE BACK IN AND SAVE A FEW HUNDRED.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

No need to yell....
romanm

Post by romanm »

Well.

For one sorry about the caps. It doesnt bother me so much as other I guess.

Secondly, everythign is stripped. I am using the stock KDX 250 chassis. Its a tank, but it will suffice for now. My riding skill isnt that good enough to exploit the KX chassis, and work wise I dont have time to mess with the KX.

So with the warm wetaher, I will be painting the frame black this weekend. Anyone have any tips or past experience with this? Im thinking rattlecan'ing it. I was gooing to sand or or sandblast (if I have access) the rust off....sand blend with the paint.

Then hit it with some primer. Then shoot black paint. Ive never really had great success painting things. I was thinking about using tremclad, high gloss. Any opinions? Nobody say powdercoat....its not in the budget.

Once thats done, Ill be cleaning up the swingarm....regreasing it, and reassembling. Ill also be adding some zerk fittings. New bearing/bushing will come next year.

Now the engine. What is the gap supposed to be between the wall and the piston? This is for a sleeved cylinder.

Ill post pictures this weekend. My garage is a mess!!
romanm

Post by romanm »

Well.

For one sorry about the caps. It doesnt bother me so much as other I guess.

Secondly, everythign is stripped. I am using the stock KDX 250 chassis. Its a tank, but it will suffice for now. My riding skill isnt that good enough to exploit the KX chassis, and work wise I dont have time to mess with the KX.

So with the warm wetaher, I will be painting the frame black this weekend. Anyone have any tips or past experience with this? Im thinking rattlecan'ing it. I was gooing to sand or or sandblast (if I have access) the rust off....sand blend with the paint.

Then hit it with some primer. Then shoot black paint. Ive never really had great success painting things. I was thinking about using tremclad, high gloss. Any opinions? Nobody say powdercoat....its not in the budget.

Once thats done, Ill be cleaning up the swingarm....regreasing it, and reassembling. Ill also be adding some zerk fittings. New bearing/bushing will come next year.

Now the engine. What is the gap supposed to be between the wall and the piston? This is for a sleeved cylinder.

Ill post pictures this weekend. My garage is a mess!!
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

a good sanding very good primer and tremclad should be fine. I can't say I'd do any different. I have powdercoated a bicycle frame and it was laborious to get the paint off with stripper alone. As far as cylinder-piston clearance, it's tricky to check without the proper bore gauge. As far as the spec I'm not sure.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If you have any shops around that do metalwork, like artsy kinda stuff or whatever, you might give them a shout and ask about powdercoat. Cost me about $80 to primer, spray, and clearcoat my frame. My buddy got his powdercoated locally for $120.

Just saying, it's worth looking around. That price was if we sandblasted it first, which we did. For stripping paint, nothing works better than a sandblaster. If you have access to that it will make your life much easier, and make for a better finished product.
romanm

Post by romanm »

What the heck is "very good primer"

Tremclad doesnt even recomend a primer, but Im not skipping that step. Do you think tremcald primer will be good?

I might ask around about the powder coat.

I do kinda have access to a sandblaster, although Im not supposed to go to my uncles work anymore....someone complained and the safty guy told my uncle I should not be there anymore. I even wore safty glasses (noone else was), and made sure to clean up after myself....and always went at night when it wasnt busy. Whatever though...not my business.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

You can buy a cheap sand blaster and a couple of bags of sand.
All you really need is compressed air.

I made one out of brass pipe fittings a few years ago for a one time job. It did the trick. The time I spent messing around to get it to work was better than trying to sand the paint off that frame.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
romanm

Post by romanm »

Good news. I will be allowed to use the blaster tomorrow. If I remember correctly they are glass beads.

Here is what I will be blasting tomorrow. Ill show before and after pictures.

1. Frame. Duh
2. I have two full exhasut systems. Pro-circuit and FMF. Both pretty rusty
3. Wheels. They are pretty corroded, specially from my KX donor bike.
4. Triple Trees
5. Handle bars
6. Rear suspension linkage and swingarm
7. Misc pieces

IM STOKED
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If you want the rims to shine again I would avoid the glass beading. Try baking soda.
romanm

Post by romanm »

Bringing this back from the dead.

Little update. I moved, twice. In that time all I got done was have the cylinder replated, new piston, and a friend helped me rebuild the bottom end. A couple new bearings and a rebuilt crank just because.

I still need to finish the top-end. I did have to drill out one bolt that retained something....so ill need to go to Fastenal and get a new one.

So today I will be washing the jug and installing the piston, and hopefully getting most of the kips together. That should be a fun puzzle!! Any pointers? What does everyone lube the KIPS with?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

romanm wrote: What does everyone lube the KIPS with?
I'm not "everyone" but my .02 is to drop the KiPS into a cup of 2T oil and let sit over night. Then assemble, don't dry, or wipe, just assemble.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Glad to see your still at it.
romanm

Post by romanm »

So do I use any rtv for the base gaskets or head gasket when assembling this thing together?

Never did get around to putting the topend together this weekend due to other things that came up.

Any real good how-tos for this kips?