Need advice/info. on KTM 50

Got questions? We got answers....
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Need advice/info. on KTM 50

Post by G22inSC »

My oldest boy has been on a PW50 for almost two years and is beginning to outgrow it both ability wise and size wise. I refuse to go the 4 stroke route and he is too small for a 65. I have been watching craigslist and other sources for a good, slightly used KTM 50. I have been researching (ktmtalk.com) and everyone says to run away unless you are racing. We aren't racing. He will trail ride with friends and family and maybe the occasional local harescramble for fun (no full season for points).

They all talk about them being a money pit and constant maintenance issue due to the clutches and heat abuse. Does anyone here run any of these KTM 50's in the woods for fun? Anyone have any experience or advice from a non-racing standpoint? Is this all racing hype by trying to stay in 100% top performance operation all the time or does this apply to just riding in the backyard as well? I just really want to keep him on 2 strokes. Help.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I take my oldest boy HS racing, and the KTMs are not for slower kids. They smoke like a steam locomotive from the clutch on any uphill if you are not aggressive enough. That is the main issue. My friend's kids ride KTMs, and they are fine for the trails, as long as they know to get on the gas and not slip the clutch. I just don't like them because they are noisy.

You could try a PW 80 if you dont like the KTMs. The whole trick is figuring out when to move them up. I got my boy a KX65 last year at 8 YO, and he took right to it. But he was really too big for his TTR. The KX's can be lowered easily too.

My younger boy just decided to start riding his PW50, and he is talking about racing. We'll see how that works out. I will see if I can move him up to the TTR to race HS. It works better for a novice rider because of the extra torque.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

i wouldnt limit myself to looking ONLY for a KTM50

i understand you think the 65 is too big but have you considered a smaller counter sprocket?

it wont change the powerband or output of the bike but it WILL alter the delivery of the power
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The jump from a PW50 to a KX65 is huge! Maybe install a throttle stop of some sort if you go with a KX65.

IMO, a CRF50/70 would probably be a good step up from the PW50. Yeah, I know you don't like the 4T's but look at it this way... you are not going to keep it that long as he will out grow it, maintenance is easy as pie, they are super reliable, and you can probably sell it and get most, if not all, your money back. Just food for thought.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

I can't put him straight onto a KX65. The physical size is still too much. It would be a seat height change of about 10-12 inches. He stood next to one at a local dealer and the seat was almost at his chest. Still going to be a few years until I can shop for a 65 unfortunately (unless he hits a big growth spurt). He really wants a Katoom to look and sound like dad's green bike. I just don't want to get into more problems since he will mainly be trail riding as opposed to WOT racing all the time. I think I can solve the clutch issue by using the MA springs (in place of the washer stack) but I am not sure if there will be overheating issues on the trail.
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Look for a KTM sr adventure. Or ger a pro jr or pro sr and put sr adventure clutch springs in the clutch instead of the washer stack.

Works great for my boy.
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

>|<>QBB<
frankenschwinn wrote:Look for a KTM sr adventure. Or ger a pro jr or pro sr and put sr adventure clutch springs in the clutch instead of the washer stack.

Works great for my boy.

I have a line on a Pro Sr. and had planned to install the adventure clutch springs to soften the hit and help save the clutch. Just didn't know if I would run into overheating problems running in the woods at trail riding pace instead of WOT race pace. Have you had any heat issues?
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

The heat issue generally comes from the kids blipping the throttle on/off on/off. With the washer stack not even engaging untill 8000 rpm that is really the only way a kid can ride. with the springs my son is able to stay on the throttle a lot more and the power is a bit more steady. be aware that there is almost no bottom end on these bikes though. a hill requires run up and he has to stay on the throttle from top to bottom.
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

my daughter went from a PW50 to a Polini X3 50, and she didn't like it a bit. The powerband and the noise made her very skiddish. The clutch on these bikes is identical to the KTMs and wear out very quick unless they stay on the pipe. The suspension is a world apart from the PW as is the motor, but if I had to do it all over again I would probably went with a CRF 70 or something along that line. It has been about 6 months since the last time she rode and now is asking me to try again, so maybe now that she is a little taller and older it might not intimidate her that much. Oh and fact that we have been watching 6 year old kids riding 50 seniors on youtube, she is getting a little braver. :supz:
2000 KDX200(mine)
Polini X3(daughter)(FOR SALE)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
1969 M35a2 (Deuce and a 1/2)
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Mine has been to a few HS and always want to be there real early to watch the peewee classes with all the KTM 50's. He likes the looks to the bikes and the sound which is just like dad's big bike. He wants one so bad he can't stand it. Just trying to make sure I'm doing the right thing, even though I want it just as bad as him.
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I bought my son a 50 mini adventure for my son when he was five, and the abrupt on/off nature of the power made it a non-starter. I picked up a PW 50, and he did much better with that. When he outgrew the PW, I switched to a KLX 110, which frankly was too big a jump. I should have gone with a CRF 70 or 80 instead.

I think those 50 cc KTMs are geared toward racing, not trail riding, and if your son is not aggressive, then it might not be a good match.
David Eckel
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

My boys first ride was a Husky 50. It is similar to the KTM 50 from about 10 years ago - pretty low, air cooled, single speed, wet centrifical clutch. It used a Moto Marini motor. It turned out to be a great bike and he ran the wheels off it. I broke it fooling around on it in the yard. Apparently adults are too heavy for the drive train. I did parts through a shop in Oregon, 503-585-1153 if they are still around.
When I thought he was too big for it I got him a KLX110. He did not like it at all. He seemed to really miss that little Husky. The KLX is quite heavy and slow in comparison.
I don't know if Husky is still making 50's for the U.S.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I wouldn't limit yourself to only a 2 stroke. My boy switched back and forth pretty easily. It only matters if you are serious about racing. Other than the PW, the kids 2 strokes are designed for racing and don't make the best trail bikes for novices. The 4 strokes are typically lower maintenance, and are not as intimidating to learn. Like mentioned before, a hard hitting race bike may scare the rider and make them not want to ride.

We have both kinds racing in the Peewee classes, and it depends more on the riders development than the bike. A fast kid on a CRF50 will beat a slow kid on a KTM 50.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Here it is!

http://www.wildwestms.com/new_vehicle_d ... ov=2446328

Brings back some fond memories

There are plenty of choices in the 4-stroke group for the size bigger than a PW50 but smaller than a KX65.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
kawabunga

Post by kawabunga »

My son recently went through the same progression, Outgrowing a PW50.

To me, the far and away replacement is without question, the xr70. I bought

a cherry 98' model for $450, "Our daughter has no interest in riding."

After two seasons of my sons use, it has required absolutely nothing but

gasoline. Not an ounce of oil, not a single .001 of valvetrain adjustment.

Nothing. All a person needs to know about maintenance is:

Yearly oil change, Sta-bil, and OEM pilot jet if sta-bil isn,t used.

This motor, designed about 45 yrs. ago shares none of the high priced

maintenance of a modern 250, or 450 race bike. Including starting habits.

As soon as he starts bottoming the suspension regularly, Where going

shopping for an 80ccc two-stroke.

A KDX is a needy prima-donna compared to this thing.
reviving old war-horse.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

A KDX is a needy prima-donna compared to this thing.
Funny but true.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy