Linkage Bearing replacement and other stuff

Got questions? We got answers....
F1

Linkage Bearing replacement and other stuff

Post by F1 »

I have an 06 200. While removing Kouba links from the bike I decided to lube the bearings in the linkage. Pulled out the bearing tube and it was corroded on one end. There are 2 bearings in the opening - one still good and the other locked up and corroded. I ordered a new set and will have them next week. I know how to press a bearing out with my bench vise and a socket that matches the diameter of the bearings.

My question is whether I press both out at once though the same side? In other words - do I push the bearing on one side into the other bearing and both out he other end? Or do I have to devise a way to pull each bearing out from its own side?

Btw I really like the bike and I have been getting it up to snuff. So far it has new rubber, sprockets and chain, front fender and grips. new springs are on the way from Racetech, a gnarly woods pipe from Rocky Mountain and a moose pipe guard. Still thinking about whether removing the airbox lid or drilling it really makes any difference. Right now the bike runs good but of course, rich with the stock jetting.

I installed the Kouba 2 link and raised up the forks in the triples about 3/4 of an inch. the bike felt much smaller and was a little squirelly/twitchy when I rode it. I put the bike back to stock (have to re-adjust the sag) and am going on a new years day ride to compare. I'm 5'6" on a good day and I am barely tippy toed on it without the Kouba link. I dont want to be falling over on rutted out trails. So I'll see how I make out this weekend and decide if I want the link back in or not. With the link in the bike is at least 2 inches shorter at the saddle. A side effect to this is the kickstand wants to push the bike over the other way.

Great Site and thanks for any assistance or comments.
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Linkage Bearing replacement and other stuff

Post by kdxquebec »

>|<>QBB<
F1 wrote:My question is whether I press both out at once though the same side? In other words - do I push the bearing on one side into the other bearing and both out he other end? Or do I have to devise a way to pull each bearing out from its own side?
Both ways works. I prefer your first option.

Happy trails.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.