IMPORTANT message to those of us who have pets

Got questions? We got answers....
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

IMPORTANT message to those of us who have pets

Post by ihatefalling »

Hey guys, just wanted to share an important lesson that almost drastically changed our lives here at my house.

A week ago I started the work on replacing the shift shaft on my KDX. Had to drain the coolant. Antifreeze is typically fatal to animals. I THOUGHT I was very careful but, evidently there was some drainage off the frame or skid plate that I did not see happen.

That spill dried to a sticky spot in the garage floor over the last week. I never saw it.

I was in the garage with the dog yesterday and, by the grace of God, saw him licking that spot on the floor.

Again by the grace of God, 22 hours later, 4 courses of antidote, stomach pumping, charcoal ingestion and continuous I.V. with some kind of alcohol to isolate the toxins in his blood "our son" will be coming back home to us in a day or two . There is the possibility that he will have kidney issues later in life, but at least he will be back home with us soon. Thank you God.

I know most of us work on bikes/cars/etc.. from time to time. Obviously there is the lesson of "don't spill antifreeze" but most importantly the lesson I want to share is:

The vet said that by seeing him ingest the antifreeze and IMMEDIATELY taking him to their office was key to saving his life. The vet shared with us that what they usually see is that a pet owner fears their animal has ingested antifreeze but they hesitate, not knowing and hoping that it will be ok. Two to three hours later the animal starts showing signs of poisoning. They then take the animal to the vet but, the toxins have already entered the kidneys by that time and 95% of the animals end up dying. The Dr. told me "Usually people sit here crying and saying why did I wait?"

I'm not looking to be his hero....in fact I am as far from it as I can be. I am not looking for praise because I acted fast. I just wanted to share the lesson of IMMEDIACY with ya'll because I know that the same thing could happen to you one day.

I can't wait to hug my Sambo bear again :grin: :grin: :grin:

2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

a similar thing happened to me...i drained the fuel out of my kdx then kicked the can over, i went to find something to clean up the spillage but when i returned to my horror i saw my cat licking up the last of the spilt fuel..suddenly he went mad & ran around the garage flat out then did 3 laps of my garden before running into the house where he just made a funny coughing noise before stopping in his tracks & just fell over lifeless...i picked him up & drove to the vets where i explained to the vet what had happened...the vet just shook his head then looked at me & said that the old cat would be fine as he had just run out of fuel!!!!! :grin:
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

LOL
jgas1

Post by jgas1 »

Good info to know. I value my pets, and I also hate unnecessary Vet bills. I've paid a few of those over the years. Someone. forget who, told me several years ago that Antifreeze either had been made safe, (or safer at least), or had something added so pets wouldn't like the taste. Guess not. I've been less careful since hearing that. Suppose I should have double checked.

I used to let my pets into my shop mainly for company if I got bored. I don't do that anymore. I had a Lab-Rott mix would either sneak up behind me quietly and I'd trip over her, or she would "fetch" me something and lay it behind me so I'd trip on it. She was 17yrs old when she died but had been almost blind and deaf for a few years, but that was the quietest dog I've ever had. Maybe she was tripping me as a joke and laughing at me?

One time I picked up an automatic trans to carry it across the shop, didn't even know the dog was in the shop, and I tripped over her. Almost fell, managed to only half-way drop the trans and not break it, twisted my bad back, kicked the dog, then felt terrible for kicking an old blind dog. I also had a 3 yr old LabBasset Hound mix, (Bassador)? that just went into convulsions and died recently. The vet couldn't find any signs of poison, and said that Basset Hounds had some genetic problems with either embolisms or anyurisms, it could have been that. I don't think he ever got into my shop, but he might have when I wasn't looking. Anyway, I decided to just keep the pets out of the shop. I got one of those radio controlled fences where a collar shocks them and you can set zones. They can't even get within 15ft of the shop door.

Glad your extra family member is ok. Thet was a heck of a way to try and clean your shop floor.

Hey, that's an idea! I need to invent something to neutralize the common stuff that hits a shop floor, with an additive that pets like. No more sweeping and oil dry. just dogs with funny tastes in their mouth and some hilarious home video for America's funniest.

I'm not making light of your dog's getting sick, but my mind works in strange ways. Just ask my dogs.
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Good job IHF!!

Disaster averted.

That would have been a very difficult way to start the New Year.
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

HA...thanks for the humor. I need some of that right now :)

jgas1 - we have been on the same thought process as you. The vet said that there was a "more pet friendly" anti-freeze on the market. I will look into it.....not that I plan on this ever happening again :) The vet even went on a rant stating " we just don't know why the manufacturers can't add something to it to make it smell bad."

My wife and I agreed that the risk is just too great to have Sammie hanging out in the garage with me anymore. I really enjoy his company and him helping me out and will miss it. But I would rather have the piece of mind that he is safe :)
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

Our family had a miniature schnauzer when I was a kid. Great dog. Glad yours is going to be ok. :grin:
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I'm glad your doggie will be fine. I have one that looks identical to yours except mine has pointy ears! How big is Sambo? Mine is tiny, he weighs about 6 pounds.

Oh, and I also have a Giant Schnauzer. How giant, you ask? 97 pounds.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

>|<>QBB<
MadMax wrote:I'm glad your doggie will be fine. I have one that looks identical to yours except mine has pointy ears! How big is Sambo? Mine is tiny, he weighs about 6 pounds.

Oh, and I also have a Giant Schnauzer. How giant, you ask? 97 pounds.

We have what I guess is a "medium" schnauzer. He is 21 pounds. He is kinda small, but fairly lazy and overweight.

I was sharing this thread with my wife and daughter and they would love to see pics of your tiny and giant schnauzers.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Yea.... I would like to see those picture too !

My guy was supposed to be a mini but he has grown to 25 lbs :shock:

While I'm on the bandwagon, I will also share something else that might help.

About 4 months ago he started acting strange.....using the bathroom in the house and drinking LOTS of water. Long story short, he had developed diabetes. The Dr. said it was b/c he was overweight. We thought he looked fine (has never had people food) but he was 30 lbs. Dr. said he needed to loose 5 lbs. I thought 5 lbs isn't anything but Dr. said he should be 25 lbs for his size and that would be a reduction of almost 20% of his body weight..... I said oh, I see.

After testing and insulin for about a month his pancreas kicked back into gear and he is now fine. Another miracle.

Lesson there is, drinking LOTS of water all of a sudden is a dead giveaway of Diabetes forming. My wife made the good call there by taking him to the vet early one. Again, the vet said that acting fast made all the difference.

Now.......where the pic of that 97lb dood :supz: ?
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I'll find and post pics ASAP...

On a note related to overweight dogs, I feed my dogs (I also have a mutt that was donated by my step son when he moved out LOL) Iams dog food and I feed them by the recommendations on the bag. My little guy eats 1 cup a day, my medium size mutt, weight approx. 50 pounds eats 2 cups and my giant eats 3 cups a day. They all are healthy weight and get plenty of exercise. I highly recommend Iams at the specified serving size.

Now to find the pictures......
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Ok, here's the big one.

MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

LOL....that's a good looking boy .

I bet he's fun to goof off with :cool:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

He's a 6 year old puppy. Best natured hound ever. And he's a total beast. All in one high energy package. Oddly enough, he's also the smartest dog I've ever had. Big dogs aren't supposed to be very bright.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150